My cousin wanted my Mosin and ammo, so we made a swap. Got me a Daly 1911A1 in my hand and an AR on layaway. We poked around, and found a nice one.

Essential Arms pre-ban lower in OD Green with black furniture

Stag arms 6.8 SPC Spec II upper with 2 mags and scope

YHM 5.56NATO upper with 10 mags and Troy Industries flip night sights

Custom Pelican case and Otis cleaning kit

$650 OTD

I was all over that set-up like white on rice. We hope to have it paid off by Christmas, and he's going to work his magic on the 5.56 upper once we get it. He rolls his own ARs, and knows how to make them hum.

So far, the only downer is the 6.8 SPC ammo isn't cheap. Cheapest I've found is $.75/bang from SSA. However, reloading is a cinch, as it uses the same bullet as the .270 Winchester. DOD has been testing this round as the replacement for the 5.56, and my uncle tells me it looks like it may be a go for Special Forces to start with, then main infantry at a later date.

I'm stoked, and can't wait to squeeze off a few rounds.exciting.gif

It was. A new DPMS Panther 556NATO Oracle was $640 local. The Stag upper is worth $500, and the pre-ban Essential Arms lower stripped has gone for as much as $800 on Gunbroker, being they discontinued OD Green shortly after the ban.

Already picked up a set of RCBS reloading dies for 6.8 just in case. .270 is popular here for deer/elk, so I can get good deals on bullets at times. Local BVAC can get me brass for $40/100.

YHM upper is getting a stainless bolt/gas tube and chrome lined barrel with Specter handguards and Troy sights to back up an Aimpoint. We are going to use the old bolt/barrel to build a backup upper with an old Colt A1 style upper he has laying around.

Wife wants to smack me because I've already "spent" almost $1K on ammo and accessories. She thought my Saiga was bad. haha.gif

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

That's why I went with a piston 7.62x39 upper was the price of 6.8. I plan to reload eventually but I have more projects before it will almost immediately pay off.

Some people I'm sure are waiting for pics but the project has hit speed bumps on the delivery department. I only have a front sight (Thanks DPMS... dry.png ) and still no mags from ASC (They said they had some, apparently they lied. Or their outsource manufacturer lied.)

But I will be posting pics as soon as it's all together (finally...) dry.png

I'd have gotten .300 blackout but it seems to be at the moment, yet another odd round that is hard to find bulk ammo for.