Gear question: Condor Triple Stacker M4 Mag Pouch for AK 74?

Greetings. I'm considering putting together a molle style rig for my AK 74, and am wondering if anyone has experience with the Condor Triple Stacker M4 Mag Pouch? This is the one with the bungee pulls holding the mags in a open style carrier.

Will 30 round AK 74 mags fit into this with the bungee pulls still holding the mags secure? If no, does anyone know of a similar style molle mag pouch that will work with the AK 74 mags?

CONDOR-MolleTripleStackerM4MagPouchOD99.jpg

Edited by Jpanzer

Condor is considered about the bottom of the barrel for gear. That said, I know a guy who used their kit in a fairly demanding carbine course and he seemed happy with how it worked, despite the instructors sarcastic comments. He was using an AR and not an AK so I have no idea if it was the same model.

Not a gear snob, and don't give a rats ass about what other people think. If an instructor is more concerned with what name brand your gear is instead of teaching you what you are there to learn, you obviously picked the wrong course to attend.

Oh, by the way, thanks for contributing absolutely nothing to this thread...mad.gif

Have you searched the forums yet?

I haven't used this type of mag pouch, but from my experience with other types, the biggest issue you may have would be the mag lugs catching on the pouch. Might be less of a problem if you ran "bullets up" with covers attatched to the bungees. The mags themselves should fit as they are essentionally for the same round. I carry 30rnd, x39 mags in two SAW type pouches and they fit great.

Do you have a local Surplus store around? I've taken stuff into mine to see if it'll fit and they don't mind. That said, the Condor stuff is inexpensive enough that if it doesn't work the way you want, you're not out much.

I've gone through alot of "Low end" gear too. Some works, some don't. If it don't, I'm not out much. If it does, I can upgrade as I can afford it. Many of us are not "operators" and thus don't have the need for THE most durable high end gear right away. But we do have need of gear. The less we spend on one thing, means the more we can spend on other things, like training, etc.

Better to have something than nothing at all.

• Like 1

I haven't used this type of mag pouch, but from my experience with other types, the biggest issue you may have would be the mag lugs catching on the pouch. Might be less of a problem if you ran "bullets up" with covers attatched to the bungees. The mags themselves should fit as they are essentionally for the same round. I carry 30rnd, x39 mags in two SAW type pouches and they fit great.

Do you have a local Surplus store around? I've taken stuff into mine to see if it'll fit and they don't mind. That said, the Condor stuff is inexpensive enough that if it doesn't work the way you want, you're not out much.

I've gone through alot of "Low end" gear too. Some works, some don't. If it don't, I'm not out much. If it does, I can upgrade as I can afford it. Many of us are not "operators" and thus don't have the need for THE most durable high end gear right away. But we do have need of gear. The less we spend on one thing, means the more we can spend on other things, like training, etc.

Better to have something than nothing at all.

This is my philosophy exactly when it comes to gear!

I've had everything from Russian assault vests to custom made chest rigs to old army surplus - if I find something I like and that works I use it. I don't want a $60 mag pouch that will spend more time in the back of my Jeep than it will in the bush. I want something well made and affordable, and the money I save can be re-invested in the important stuff like upgrading weapons, optics, or simply buying more ammo.

As far as Condor goes, I've never been disappointed with ANYTHING I have bought from them. Can't say that about Eagle industries and some other name brand supposedly "top notch" gear I have bought. Nutnfancy on Youtube has done reviews of their MOPC Plate Carrier and their Kangaroo mag pouches and rave about the quality of their stuff, AND have field tested them as well. They rate Condor very high and just as importantly, they rate it as being an excellent value.

As far as AK specific mag pouches, the stuff on the market right now that is out there, especially the closed top mag pouches by Voodoo, Condor, and others is a less than ideal item for AK users. They were designed as a universal mag pouch, and AK mags don't fit or work in them the way they need to. Modern Eastern European gear is designed specifically for the AK mag, but is usually expensive to acquire and sometimes its hard to find the exact pouch you need if you are looking for MOLLE compatible gear as I am.

This brings us back to my question about the item I pictured. I read a thread at Arfcom where a guy said this pouch runs AK 74 mags with no issues, but I thought i would run it past the AK minded brethren here to draw on shared experiences from other AK users. Will probably give it a try unless I find a better alternative.

This entire gear snobbery thing is comical to me. IF any of us have to go into action mode with what we have are we going to stop and run it by the "instructor" crowd first? LMAO! Hell no, we will grab what we have and go and MAKE it work for us!

Edited by Jpanzer

Not a gear snob, and don't give a rats ass about what other people think. If an instructor is more concerned with what name brand your gear is instead of teaching you what you are there to learn, you obviously picked the wrong course to attend.

Oh, by the way, thanks for contributing absolutely nothing to this thread...mad.gif

Did you read what he said or just scan it and make up the tone? He gave you some helpful information: Condor is not know for being the best gear, that said someone who actually uses it in a demanding way was happy with it despite him using it for AR mags not AK. I think thats a pretty helpful and honest answer.

I would only worry about the angle of the 74 mags being slightly steeper and less accepting to retention than the AR mags the rig was designed for.

Here are some that should work as well:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/MOLLE120-6.html

http://www.opsgear.com/index/page/product/product_id/1568/category_id/185/product_name/MOLLE+Triple+M4++AK+Mag+Pouch

Did you read what he said or just scan it and make up the tone? He gave you some helpful information: Condor is not know for being the best gear, that said someone who actually uses it in a demanding way was happy with it despite him using it for AR mags not AK. I think thats a pretty helpful and honest answer.

I would only worry about the angle of the 74 mags being slightly steeper and less accepting to retention than the AR mags the rig was designed for.

Here are some that should work as well:

http://www.cheaperth...MOLLE120-6.html

http://www.opsgear.c...4++AK+Mag+Pouch

Yeah tare, I read it. Did you just scan my post and do the same? Condor is shitty gear according to you folks. According to others who's opinions and reviews I place much more stock in than what I am reading here, it is good quality for the price. And going by my personal experience, I've found no problems with it.

WTF is it with you guys? Did the first guy to respond have any firsthand info to pass along? No. Did he personally own or use the item above? NO. All he had was "it's shit, instructors laugh at it, but a buddy says his worked"? WTF is valuable in that response?

If someone here in the forums asks for specific info on a specific item, and I neither own it or use it, I skip that thread and go on. Others should do the same IMHO...

Edited by Jpanzer

Jpanzer

I didn't mean to suggest that I think they make shitty gear, I actually said "not the best" and I meant that was the jist of the feedback KevinINNM gave you; I would take that kind of information as second hand but still helpful and not personal. These guys might actually be trying to help you out by steering you from what they've heard may be a bad investment.

Sorry that I personally don't have experience with said device, but I happen to be looking for a similar item and was interested in what you'd come up with. I saw that you might have taken some advice from others the wrong way and stepped in to suggest that the intent might not have been as you felt, I even gave you some other options I thought would work (second one was even made by condor, but had different retention, take it how you want it.

Edited by TARE

Got my stuff in. Plate carrier is Condor BTW wink.png and very good quality for what I paid for it. It will serve my needs well

The Condor triple stacker M4 mag pouch? Good quality, but extremely tight fit with AK 74 mags. So tight in fact they would be hard to withdraw in an emergency. This would be excellent for the AR crowd though.

Got a European AK specific mag pouch on the way, hopefully it will do the trick...