Saiga .223 Galil Converstion Questions

I'm finally getting ready to tear my .223 down for the Galil conversion. One of the questions I have is: Will a genuine Galil handguard fit on an AK without any serious modification? What are the best type of sights to use and how hard are they to install, and are there anyone that offers an affordable service to do the things that I cannot do myself?

below is picture of a really nice Saiga I found online of what I would like mine to look like when its done. take a look and tell me if its worth doing?

galil2uf8.jpg

CSS carries a tapco handguard and stock. Similar and very cheap. The gas block you might be able to get from rifle dynamics, might give them a call. The stock looks like an ace skeleton stock and you can get the ace folding adapter to finish it up. For the sights maybe a TWS gen 2 rail with chaos HK rear sight? or buy the set and have the front sight welded onto your gas block.

good luck

Edited by AZG

That original photo the gas/sight block is from a Galil. The Bolton block from Rifle Dynamics should be a reasonable facimile, but I've seen Galil parts kits around, so it may be worth it to get a parts kit to cannibalize.

As far as the stock HG, that may take some finagling, but I'm sure it can be done. The biggest difference I have seen is at the front of the receiver/back of the HG... It's WAY different there- the receiver of the Galil is milled, and has a slight taper, therin lies the big rub I should think.

I think I'd go with the Tech Sights. Looks closer to a Galil's actual setup than a TWS dogleg and a peep, my two cents.

The question I have is do you want something that would pass for a Galil, or is galil-ish close enough. If it is the later I would do the following:

Galil style pistol grip

Tapco galil handguard or galil handguard since the rest of the build may well require removing the front sight block and the gas block anyways.

Weld on HK front sight or bolton gasblock.

Rear Tech sight

Internal block

Stormwerkz folding mechanism

Ace stock

Up swept charging handle.

Galil style flash hider

If I really wanted anything closer than that I don't think the effort and expense would justify it and I would just by a Goloni and work on it as needed.

anyone that offers an affordable service to do the things that I cannot do myself?

Well, what are the things you can't do yourself?

The question I have is do you want something that would pass for a Galil, or is galil-ish close enough. If it is the later I would do the following:

Galil style pistol grip

Tapco galil handguard or galil handguard since the rest of the build may well require removing the front sight block and the gas block anyways.

Weld on HK front sight or bolton gasblock.

Rear Tech sight

Internal block

Stormwerkz folding mechanism

Ace stock

Up swept charging handle.

Galil style flash hider

If I really wanted anything closer than that I don't think the effort and expense would justify it and I would just by a Goloni and work on it as needed.

anyone that offers an affordable service to do the things that I cannot do myself?

Well, what are the things you can't do yourself?

ACE stock and internal block and Galil pistolgrip are all on the way...the sight/gas block im gonna go with the bolton, but I need to have it PROPERLY installed and i dont have the tools to do it the right way, which is why I need to have it professionally done. the Rear sight options are still up in the air, because I cant decide on which route I wanna take. I have a Tapco Galil handguard, but its not good enough for me, because it covers too much of the gas tube and takes away from the true look of the Galil, So i want a real one, but im playing hell trying to find one

Edited by RoughRider666