Saiga 20 conversion questions

I have been reading on the forum and decided to do a conversion and do it myself. Most of what I see is for the 12 and I was curious if there are any specific tips unique to the 20. I think I am going to use the Carolina SS conversion kit #2. Do most people do their own conversion or leave it to the profesional?

the 20 is no different than any other saiga as far a the basic conversion goes. plan everything in advance, get all your parts and take your time. the hardest part is pulling the trigger guard/plate. the rivets are a pain in the ass at times. i have found a 1/8" carbide dremel bit works wonders. grind the 3 rivets flat and gently pry the trigger guard plate up with a flat head screwdriver. i would suggest the carolina shooter supply bolt-on trigger guard. its strong, clean and easy to install.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yeah I read those already thats where I decided to do it myself. Just looking for confirmation and you suggest DIY so DIY it will be. Do you have any specific advice that applies to the 20?

If you haven't already done so yet...the procedure is the same as the 12 GA. Actually the rivets are pretty easy to remove...use the 3/16" drill bit as shown in the video. The two long rivets through the sides are the easiest, as the drill bit will center itself...when you drill out the three on the bottom, I recommend center punching them first, especially the rivet closest to the back. You will be drilling that one through the top of the rear trunnion, and it will be at a slight angle. I would center punch that one slightly forward of center, as it will walk backward just a tad. You shouldn't need a grinder at all.