What parts will fit conversion?

most furniture parts fit without trouble. most ak furniture parts, regardless of country, are designed to fit most models. saigas are stamped, not milled. standard ak gas tubes will fit, avoid yugos (to long). i think the amd is short, but not 100% on that.

Parts that fit saiga:

-AKM47 or AK74 Gas tubes from East Germany , Russia, Bulgaria, Egypt, Romania, Chinese Type 56, Poland AKM47-- (Not tantal)

-AKM47 or AK74 Front hand guards upper & lower with Saiga hand guard retainer, from East Germany , Russia, Bulgaria, Egypt, Romania, Poland AKM47-- (Not tantal) (A well respected vendor here sells the Saiga hand guard retainer @ http://store.carolin...nd-guard/Detail )

-AK47 or AKM47 or AK74 Pistol grips from East Germany , Hungry, Russia, Bulgaria, Egypt, China, Romania, Poland AKM47 & tantal (the polish bakelite grip is vary nice)

-AKM47 or AK74 stamped receiver wood or poly buttsocks form East Germany , Russia, Bulgaria, Egypt, Romania, Poland AKM47-- (Not tantal) Hungry AMD 63 wood only

-AK74 Front sight bases from Bulgaria, East Germany, Russia

-AKM47 or AK74 Top dust covers from East Germany , Russia, Bulgaria, Egypt, Romania, Poland AKM47 &tantal, hungry AMD 63 & 65

-AKM47 or AK74 folding wire stocks from East Germany, Poland, Romania.

In my opinion the highest quality combloc AK parts come from East Germany then Bulgaria, Russia, Poland, Hungry, China, Egypt and Romania (from best to worst)

Parts that DO NOT fit the Saiga unless heavily modified are from the following rifles and countries:

-Any Yugoslavian AK M70B1 or M76 or M72 parts

-Any Polish Tantal AK74 parts except pistol grip, dust cover and 5.45 tantal mags do fit saiga

-Most parts from RPK rifles

-SVD or Romanian PSL parts

-Most milled receiver AK47 parts such as Hand guards & butstocks do not fit the saiga

(please note the AK47 & AKM47 are two different rifles. The AK47 has a milled receiver while the AKM47 has a stamped receiver and will resemble a rifle that looks identical to the Romanian WASR 10 or WASR 10/63.

-All CZ 58 Parts do not fit the Saiga

I am not familiar with Chinese parts hopefully some one weighs in on that

I Hope this list I made helps and members please point out errors if I made any and please add on

Here is a pic of my saigas just to give you an example of what you can do with surplus parts

545and762Saigas029-Copy.jpg

And my Saiga with some awesome Bulgarian AK74 wood

phpoyHXbpPM1.jpg

Edited by 762SLEDGEHAMMER
  • Like 2

Hello all! I would like to change the FSB and GB on my 762 saiga. I see above alot of furniture is compatible, but are the GB and FSB? I plan to use the the gas tube aswell, but will the GB line up with the port? Thanks in advance, Ive been searching on and off for a few days now and could not get a definite answer.

I want to change the gb and fsb also. I just dont know whats compatible with the saiga 762.

The Saiga rifle is essentially a neutered AK74. The barrel made for the 7.62x39 Saiga is the same barrel that is installed in the Russian military AK74. Any AK74 FSBs or gas blocks will fit your Saiga's barrel. That being said swapping a gas block only for the benefit of a GP30 lug is no easy task. GBs and FSBs have an extremely tight fit with the barrel, and the swap will require the use of a heavy shop press and you will need to figure out a way to properly support your receiver so you don’t bend your barrel under the stress (been there done that...) On the other hand changing a dimpled or pined FSB is a fairly easy task. No shop press needed, only a dremel tool with a cutting wheel, a mallet, punch, a drill, and proper barrel support. When using a surplus AK74 muzzle break you will need to use a drill bit to bore out a bigger hole to accommodate the 7.62 bullet as the break was intended for the 5.45x39mm round. "How to" guides can be found on this site by using the search feature.

Edited by 762SLEDGEHAMMER

I want to change the gb and fsb also. I just dont know whats compatible with the saiga 762.

The Saiga rifle is essentially a neutered AK74. The barrel made for the 7.62x39 Saiga is the same barrel that is installed in the Russian military AK74. Any AK74 FSBs or gas blocks will fit your Saiga's barrel. That being said swapping a gas block only for the benefit of a GP30 lug is no easy task. GBs and FSBs have an extremely tight fit with the barrel, and the swap will require the use of a heavy shop press and you will need to figure out a way to properly support your receiver so you don’t bend your barrel under the stress (been there done that...) On the other hand changing a dimpled or pined FSB is a fairly easy task. No shop press needed, only a dremel tool with a cutting wheel, a mallet, punch, a drill, and proper barrel support. When using a surplus AK74 muzzle break you will need to use a drill bit to bore out a bigger hole to accommodate the 7.62 bullet as the break was intended for the 5.45x39mm round. "How to" guides can be found on this site by using the search feature.

Thanks for answering. My barrel is threaded under the sleave. I wanted to go with a slant break and correct FSB with spring pin. Im not a huge fan of AK74 brakes. To me it looks like a dick coming off the FSB. I will search some more. I may just buy a wasr and leave the saiga as it is. BTW UIW here.

Some will cut just 1/2 the sleave off with a pipe cutter then screw on the slant break if the barrel is threaded. Only problem with that is there is a 1/2 inch gap or so between the slant break and the FSB whic looks kinda strange to me.
Thats why I wanted to change the fsb out for he correct one