Polish Tantal recall

I visited my local gunshop today and the owner had (2) Polish Tantals boxed up and ready to ship back. I believe the letter he showed me was from Century Arms International but I could be mistaken about that point. The letter did mention the serial numbers of the firearms involved but I did not write them down. I own a Polish Tantal that I purchased it from him months ago and I'm going to go back in and check to see if my firearm falls withing the serial numbers listed. He also told me the reason for the recall was not made known to him within the letter. Has anyone else heard about this?

Edited by t165

I heard about there being something they should have recalled a long damned time ago. A bunch of them were made with .223 barrel blanks cut with a 5.45x39 chamber, and as a result keyhole like crazy. It's "only" a few thousandths of an inch... I don't know if this is related to that fuckuppery, or something new.

Edited by Shandlanos

Mine was bought a few years ago and so far it's good to go. 100 yards out and no keyholes just nice round holes in the target with spam can ammo.

I am eventually gonna have it melonited. For me, it's a keeper for sure, I really enjoy it. My serial for mine is within the problematic range but I was fortunate to get one that shoots very well.

I stopped at my local gunshop again this evening. The shop is located in Vincennes Indiana and is called Fort Sackville Guns. Orville Umfleet is the owner. The recall was sent to him by the distributor for the last two Polish Tantals he ordered. I'm not sure who the distributor is but to the best of my knowledge the only two he uses on a regular basis for AK style firearms is Zanders Sporting Goods and Ellett Brothers (spelling?). I'm pretty sure these were CAI guns but I forgot to confirm that with Orville tonight. The recall listed the Tantal's by their specific serial numbers. Nothing within the notification gave a reason for the recall. He was very busy and I only had a few seconds to discuss it with him. One of the Tantals had already been sold to retired Indiana State Trooper and past Knox County Sheriff Jerry Mooney. Jerry had already fired his Tantal and was confused why it was being recalled because it had functioned fine for him at the range. Nonetheless, the Tantals have been sent back to the distributor. Orville told me that all previous Tantals sold through his store were not affected by the recall. Thats all the information I can provide at this time. If there is a large recall of newer Polish Tantals I'm sure more information will be available on this and other forums soon.

I heard about there being something they should have recalled a long damned time ago. A bunch of them were made with .223 barrel blanks cut with a 5.45x39 chamber, and as a result keyhole like crazy. It's "only" a few thousandths of an inch... I don't know if this is related to that fuckuppery, or something new.

Probably more of that asshattery.

I'll see if I can get a copy of the notice. I love my Tantal....not trying to bash....just curious. Heck, I even listed some pretty good references to validate what I posted. Both Orville and Jerry are in the phone book in old Vincennes. Jerry Mooney is also a graduate of the FBI National Academy which is a liason between federal and local/state law enforcement. Orville is a retired Vincennes Fireman. I am not trying to play a game here. And I'm really not trying to say anything bad about the Polish Tantal or start unfounded rumors. We are just curious and asking you gentlemen for answers.

Edited by t165

I searched Google and loked on a few other ak forums and found absolutely nothing about a recent Polish Tantal recall. I stopped in at Fort Sackville Guns tonight and mentioned the recall again. These were Century built firearms but the owner has not received any more information as to what is going on with them. It sure is strange nobody else has mentioned this. I'm going to send an email off to Century and see if they give me a reply.

• 1 month later...

I was standing in my local gun shop a couple of days ago and the gentleman who had purchased the recalled Century Arms Polish Tantal walked in. I asked him if he had ever received his firearm back. He replied "no" and added that after Century had received the firearm they also sent another request letter wanting the magazines shipped with the gun back as well. The gun shop owner then added he had received yet another letter from Century explaining the recall was due to a safety lever problem. He mentioned a flaw had been found with the safety levers. The Century Arms Tantals have two different safety levers located on either side of the receiver. I feel a bit foolish about continuing this thread as I cannot find any other incident about this recall of Polish Tantals on the internet. Somebody throw me a life preserver before I start looking crazy. Even Century Arms hasn't acknowledged any of this.

My local FFL deals with Zanders, and Sports South, both pretty big distributors. He'll call them tomorrow and see if they have any info. Thanks.

Both of these big Century distributors were contacted and neither knew anything about a recall.