I picked up an AMD 65 a few days ago and am trying to decide whether or not I should keep it or send it back. The mag well was done by TGI to accept regular AK mags but there are a few problems I can see right off the bat.

A lot of my mags have some severe side to side wobble and it also looks like the selector stop plate is a little too thick which results in excess space at the mag catch. I can actually pull one of my 20 rounders out by pushing back on the magazine.

Some mags fit better than others and don't feel too bad. Polymer mags like circle 10's fit the best. I thought something was odd when I saw a Tapco 20 rounder with the rifle when I got it.

I also noticed that it looks as if there is some cant to the gas block and front sight block. I'm not expecting a tack driver but I'd like to hit what I'm aiming at without pushing the sight right to the edge.

For all I know this rifle could shoot great but I'd like to get a few opinions on it before I run a bunch of ammo through it and have to scrub it clean inside and out just so i can send it back.

If you got a sloppy magwell, send it back for another one. They wont give you crap about it as it is a common problem (SA2000 receiver, correct?). I have 3 AMD65s and two are great and 1 is a bit sloppy. I havent had any feeding problems with it at this point.

I love my AMD, and not just because it's what I have, but what I chose to keep. Mine is on the FEG receiver, I'm not sure if it's SA85 or SA2000 (and I can't check, deployed). Some mags have some wobble but it depends on the magazine. All serial numbers match on mine and it has the smoothest action of any AK I have ever owned or shot. It shoots great, smooth action, no cant, 100% reliable with every mag and drum I've put in it. At the same price as a Romy kit + CAI rebuild, I don't know why more people don't get them.

Sorry to hear you have some issues. I'd send it back if European steel mags have issues in it.

Yep, SA2000 receiver. I ended up keeping it. Most steel mags fit sloppy but work, some don't, but all the polymer mags I have 20s, 30s, and 40s, fit good and function 100%.

Its a cheap AK and I wasn't expecting precision. It was because after reading some horror stories on the net I just wanted it to work. Plus with the time and money I'd have spent sending it back, doing another transfer, gas, etc. I don't mind having a rifle that uses a certain type of mag. Its a cannon at the range and is fun as hell to shoot. I may end up building one in the future so I can have another and add the sling loop to the receiver.

It makes my 308 (shown above it) sound like a 5.45.

20111226132007.jpg

I dont know what they did to make it work with regular mags. They should work out of the box

able to use regular mags. The only problem you should have is fitting 30 round mags in because of the

front grip, otherwise it should have nt had to be touched. I love and use the 20 round mags anyway.

You can still get steel 20 rd Hungarian mags reasonable and most throw a pouch in when you get 4.

• 2 weeks later...

L4yErCaKe - The photo in your post at #6 looks to be a good deal all things considered. I have an AMD 63 and a 65 however both are built with full rear stocks - one a K-Var Black rear stock set, and the other in Hungarian Blond Wood. The AMD's are a great buy, especially the one's made in Hungary on the FEG receiver. Mine are built on 1) 65 on a Ohio Ordnance receiver and 2) the 63 on a Global Trades AUSA Bulgarian designed receiver. I think the AMD pictured, especuially in Ceracoat and coloration, is a good and fair price.

• 1 month later...

I've seen several AMD65's built by FEG including the receivers, from SOG in Ohio. They seem pretty well built. There was one with the barrel extension (necessary for import) that was a little wobbly but easily fixed by a gunsmith. Great guns overall.