Bulgarian Parts Kit FSB and Gas Block

Alright folks,

I am currently converting a 5.45. I have the rear done and am now working on the FSB and gas block switch. I have cut the old ones off and now need to put the two from the parts kit on.

The problem is I cannot get the FSB and gas block off of the cut barrel parts from the parts kit. The pins will NOT budge. I have tried covering them in liquid wrench and tapping them out with a hammer to no avail. As well as trying to press them off with a 12 ton press. The problem with the press is whatever I use to try to press the pins out with, ends up flying off without pushing the pins at all.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

Get yourself a chunk of hardwood and a grinder with a sander disc,and cut the profile of the GB and FSB into the wood.

When driving the pins out,it's all about supporting the GB/FSB. Then you can drive the pins with a nail set and hammer

to start then and a puch once they start to move. I've driven many pins with a block of oak as a support with holes for the pins

to slide into.

Well a press with a captive pin holder(Like this:http://ak-builder.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=29978) would be ideal.

I don't know of a pin holder that is made for a hardened 3mm pin though... You could turn down a larger pin.

I've never seen a 3mm GB or FSB pin I couldn't drift out with some punches and a hammer. I've definitely had pins that were too large for the hole that I couldn't hammer in. None I couldn't hammer out though.

What are you using as a punch? You could do CnRnut's advice on fabricating a hardwood support. I'd just chuck up the barrel in the vice since thats a cut off anyway. Who cares if you mar up the cut barrel piece.

I'd just chuck up the barrel in the vice since thats a cut off anyway. Who cares if you mar up the cut barrel piece.

I've used a vice as well on stubs,but the wood block works great when working on full barrels.

Agreed. I have some MDF I use for just that.

The Bulgarian FSB/GSB pins are often peened on one side, but the finish makes it a bit hard to tell. Make sure you're punching them out from the correct side, which should be noticeably smaller.

Edited by mancat