What is this piece for?

So I disassembled my S-12 this morning in preparation to remove the Clinton plate and convert it, and I noticed this extra(?) part in the factory FCG. Any ideas what it does? There wasn't one on my 7.62 so I thought I would consult everyone here.

Eric

post-971-0-15241800-1325693809_thumb.jpg

its a travel limiter the only use for it once you convert your gun to a pistol grip is Cobra uses it to make his SRT (Short reset triggers) so hang onto it you way want one one day.

Edited by SCHULTZE

Ok, that's what I thought, but since I'd never seen one before I thought I'd ask.

Are they specific to S-12's, or are they on all the newer guns now? My 7.62 is an '03 EAA and it didn't have one.

Eric

its a travel limiter the only use for it once you convert your gun to a pistol grip is Cobra uses it to make his SRT (Short reset triggers) so hang onto it you way want one one day.

Yep over travel limiter. I have one of Cobras custom triggers thanks to Bridis. I went with his Texas AK trigger with over travel limiter and it is one sweet smooth trigger. The limiter stops the trigger just as the hammer clears the hooks. I still have not had a chance to shoot my S-12 with the new trigger. Been working to many weekendswet_eyes.gif

I got bored and figured I'd play around with the old OEM overtravel limiter and disconnector to modify them and put them in my G2 trigger. I can't tell too much of a difference in the overtravel... might be a slight improvement.

However, a nice surprise I've found is that the original disconnector is notched, and now stops the safety lever from going too far when you move it from fire to the safe position. Doing this requires taking off just a little material from the safety to allow me to take it in and out without removing the trigger... just by pressing down on the disconnector.

dsc04135p.jpg

dsc04136s.jpg

dsc04138fc.jpg

All this again makes me wonder why on earth someone hasn't made a respectable, ground up US made trigger group for the Saiga 12.

I got bored and figured I'd play around with the old OEM overtravel limiter and disconnector to modify them and put them in my G2 trigger. I can't tell too much of a difference in the overtravel... might be a slight improvement.

However, a nice surprise I've found is that the original disconnector is notched, and now stops the safety lever from going too far when you move it from fire to the safe position. Doing this requires taking off just a little material from the safety to allow me to take it in and out without removing the trigger... just by pressing down on the disconnector.

dsc04135p.jpg

dsc04136s.jpg

dsc04138fc.jpg

All this again makes me wonder why on earth someone hasn't made a respectable, ground up US made trigger group for the Saiga 12.

You don't count the adjustable trigger set from RSA? It is drop in, smooth, adjustable for pre and post travel. It can be set as a one or two stage. set it red lock tite and forget. It is all milled, no MIM. Mine is great.

You don't count the adjustable trigger set from RSA? It is drop in, smooth, adjustable for pre and post travel. It can be set as a one or two stage. set it red lock tite and forget. It is all milled, no MIM. Mine is great.

Never heard of it, so no. Does it require any modification to fit in saiga 12s?

Nope. Drops right in. Just do a google search for red star arms. Sadly none of the forum sponsors sell them. It's the same company now that makes the good ruger trigger kits.

In fairness, I should say it is a little more difficult to fit in than the tapco, but it is clearly better made. It does come with some handy pins for installation that I wish I had kept.

I feel secure in saying this as I have one of each. I did pre and post travel mods and polishing to engagement surfaces to a G2 double hook for my second build to keep cost down.

The tapco is not quite as short stroke as the dialed in RSA, but the smoothness is almost as good now.