14mm threads under FSB on SGL21?

So I don't have an SGL21 yet but I'm hoping to snag a 21-94 this summer or whenever I have enough saved up. Problem is I don't like the AK-74 brake (loud, heavy, long, too much flash/concussion). I was wondering...since some "mil-spec" barrels make it on to regular Saiga 7.62s and have 14mm threads under the FSB shroud, is it possible that SGLs which have all the military features, would also have the same threads under the 24mm FSB? Basically I want to have 14mm standard AK threads on an SGL21 with the solid AK-100 sidefolder, like the AK-103 prototype here:

1980akmsfm1na9.jpg

I know I can always have the FSB pressed off and get an AKM FSB installed then have it threaded, but if I could just cut off the 24mm threaded portion of the AK-74 style FSB and have my threads there I would be MUCH happier (my wallet would anyway). Anybody who has an SGL21 want to comment, or maybe unscrew their brake and look closely for possible threads?

• 2 weeks later...

To me, the whole reason behind buying an Arsenal AK would be not having to do ANY kind of modification to the gun.

If I would have bought 1 SGL I would not have been able to afford my 2 nearly converted Saigas.

Yep, that's how I see it too. Why drop that kind of coin on a gun you're going to tear apart?

Get one of those Saiga 7.62 guns with the AK front end and then do what you want to it.

Probably still come in a few bucks cheaper than the SGL.

So you're saying you wanna hack off a 55 dollar FSB to see if you have 14mm threads? That makes zero sense. Well wait you said pay to have it hacked off and threaded so makes even less than zero sense.

What brake in 14mm were you going to go with that would outperform the ak74 brake???

So you're saying you wanna hack off a 55 dollar FSB to see if you have 14mm threads? That makes zero sense. Well wait you said pay to have it hacked off and threaded so makes even less than zero sense.

What brake in 14mm were you going to go with that would outperform the ak74 brake???

lol i was thinking the same thing.

it;s not like the 5.45 is a heavy recoil round. the 74 fsb with brake works great, you get zero rise.

SLG21-61 owner......LOVE the 74 fsb.......Even wifey loves how she can keep it on target during rapid fire.....they are right...ZERO rise when shooting it. Try it before you hack it......just my opinion....

if its a 5.45 and you dont like the 74 style brake, you could go with a 24mm flash hider instead. the recoil is pretty much non-existent on such a small round. you can always switch back and forth too. they have a spring loaded retaining pin that keeps it locked in place. a slant brake is pretty much worthless except for looks.

Edited by GregM1