What to do with those conversion holes... sling swivel

Here's another thing I did on my 223 conversion:

I used 10-32 hex, pan head screws from a screw build kit to fill the leftover Saiga FCG holes.

I tapped the existing hole to 10-32 and installed the screws with locktite. The holes on one side are undersize. So the tap is nice and tight. On the other side it is a little bigger than the minor diameted of the thread but the tap still bites enough. The locktite will take care of that. But if you want, you can put a nut of some sort on the inside for more piece of mind.

But here's the best part... I used the rearward most hole on the left side to mount a standard 10-32 sling swivel. The threads were strong enough, but I used and locknut on the inside. There's plenty of room inside the receiver so why not?

I figured that it might be in the way and foul my grip. But it's just about perfect for my sling arrangement. I use mash hooks on both ends of the sling. So i fit one to this swivel and one to the loop on the lower handguard retainer for a nice 2-point setup. If I want a bit more flexability, I detatch the front mash hook and clip it to the same swivel. It hangs like a single point sling but it's "pendulum" swing is reduced and feels more stable when moving. I have this same type of setup on my ARs and I like it a lot.

This arrangement as it stands will foul your side mount as the swivel body will interfere with the ability to slide the mount onto the side rail. I actually drilled and tapper a hole farther back on the receiver to relocate the swivel. But I have since modified the mount to clear and will be putting the swivel back in the original location.

Pics Below or in my gallery...

later

rich

WP 000405

WP 000404

WP 000398

WP 000377

WP 000376

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Cool, i've had similar ideas to that.

Instead of a swivel, a bar bent to fit theru both holes, with a plate that the threaded end sticks thru, pushed into the sporter FCG holes, then nuts on the inside of the receiver to fasten it. It would end up looking similar to a sling mount on a traditional AK lower hand guard retainer but horizontal instead of vertical.

The other idea was an HK type loop mounted like yours, instead of the swivel loop. The HK loop that comes with the Tapco Intrafuse handguard, would be a good candidate.

Both keep the loop from hanging near the webbing of your hand.