Saiga 7.62 bulged receiver?

I've owned a couple AKs before, but this was my first Saiga. I bought it used for a good price and even got to shoot it before buying. I didn't notice this until after I got it home and got a better look while I was cleaning it.

There apprears to be a small bulge on the right side of the receiver around where the dimple should be and where the rail is welded on the inside. I was wondering if this could cause some problems further down the road with more rounds put through it? The bolt and carrier slide along the rails fine

IMG_20120120_175432.jpg

IMG_20120120_175508.jpg

That top (right side) rail looks a little distorted

IMG_20120120_175452.jpg

Hit it with a hammer! J/K... Actually maybe not.

To me, it looks like the top edge of the receiver is bent inwards causing what looks like a buldge.

If I could actually examine the receiver, I'd bet I'm right. Look straight down the edge back to front and vice versa.

If it isn't adversely affecting the action, I'd probably leave it alone, it gives it character.

If it does affect it, I'd literally love tap it back into shape with a mallet and piece of 1"x1"x6" oak that I have.

There is nothing wrong with the rail, it is supposed to be wider at the front.

To me, it looks like the top edge of the receiver is bent inwards causing what looks like a buldge.

If I could actually examine the receiver, I'd bet I'm right. Look straight down the edge back to front and vice versa.

If it isn't adversely affecting the action, I'd probably leave it alone, it gives it character.

If it does affect it, I'd literally love tap it back into shape with a mallet and piece of 1"x1"x6" oak that I have.

What he said. Check it with a straight edge, straighten with wood or plastic and a hammer. Do NOT over do it!

"Perfection is the enimy of the good enough" -Old Russian proverb, and the heart and soul of an AK!

At closer inspection, the top portion of the receiver actually is bent inwards, which does give the appearance of a bulge.

I'll leave it alone for now and keep an eye on it just in case it needs to be remedied with a little tough love.

The rail I was referring to was actually bent downwards just a little bit, but the carrier still slides smoothly up to the trunnion where the bolt locks in place. I thought the deformed rail was the cause of a little metal chipping/shaving on the right part of the trunnion where the bolt passes, but I looked at my other AKs and they all have the same wear there.