Need a proper chrome lined half-moon brake for SGL21

So, my SGL21 came with one of these: http://www.k-var.com/shop/product.php?productid=16986&cat=344&page=1

It works great, but is not chrome lined, going against the Russian mil spec.

The product description states:

"The combination of high grade tool steel and sophisticated heat treating process in vacuum furnaces result in a compensator that maintains its perfectly cylindrical shape, free of any warping, deformation, collapse, or surface contaminants."

I have an issue with the "surface contaminants" claim. Last night, I took out my rifle and gave it the first thorough cleaning since April. I don't shoot corrosive ammo and have been running bore-snakes after shooting it and stuff, but this was the first proper one in a while. She was obviously very dirty and it took a while to get her spotless. The muzzle brake was my biggest challenge. There was some thick carbon build-up on its chamber's walls and it looks like things are beginning to corrode. I got most of the carbon out with brushes and copious amount of Hoppe's, but the area still feels very rough to the touch. Not sure if pitted or just pieces of carbon still clinging on...

Any way, I don't like this and want to obtain a real heavy duty, chrome lined, mil spec AK-103 brake, either original or a quality copy. Obviously, the 5.56/5.45 mil spec half-moon brakes are easy to find, but do any of you guys know where I could get a 7.62 mm one? Thanks.

you could check the wts section here and on akforum for a russian one. if you need an american clone, ak-103.com makes them. i got one for my 7.62 for around 100$. chrome lined and super efficient too. cuts the recoil by (what feels like) 75% or more. i shoot it without the gun resting on my shoulder and it barely kicks at all. the external finish sucked on mine but the chrome lining has had no issues.

Edited by GregM1
  • 2 months later...

Kinda funny that I found this thread…

As a long time AK owner I just found myself in the same situation. I just picked up a NIB SGL21 from a friend on mine a few months ago. I have several Arsenals but this is my first Saiga.

After putting a couple hundred rounds of Wolf through it over a couple of weeks I noticed an odd hue to the brake. On closer inspection there was a ton of crud on it. When I tried to take the brake off the darn thing was locked on. A couple of hours later after soaking the front end in oil I was able to get the brake off.

The front of the FSB and barrel were also covered in the crud. The crud was not soft or easy to remove. I took me and another friend some time but we were able to get it off. Underneath, it does look like it pitted the metal just a bit. I took it out and shot it for groups the same day and the results were just as good as before so the crown had not been damaged.

I will be keeping a close eye on it until I ship it off to get reworked.

Thanks for pointing out that Chris sells a CL brake, he will be getting some of my money very soon.

Kinda funny that I found this thread…

As a long time AK owner I just found myself in the same situation. I just picked up a NIB SGL21 from a friend on mine a few months ago. I have several Arsenals but this is my first Saiga.

After putting a couple hundred rounds of Wolf through it over a couple of weeks I noticed an odd hue to the brake. On closer inspection there was a ton of crud on it. When I tried to take the brake off the darn thing was locked on. A couple of hours later after soaking the front end in oil I was able to get the brake off.

The front of the FSB and barrel were also covered in the crud. The crud was not soft or easy to remove. I took me and another friend some time but we were able to get it off. Underneath, it does look like it pitted the metal just a bit. I took it out and shot it for groups the same day and the results were just as good as before so the crown had not been damaged.

I will be keeping a close eye on it until I ship it off to get reworked.

Thanks for pointing out that Chris sells a CL brake, he will be getting some of my money very soon.

In the Russian military, taking off the brake is taught as part of the standard field-strip for AK-74 and AK-100 series of weapons. You are supposed to take it off and clean the brake and the threads during every cleaning. Any way, I still hadn't contacted AK-103.com about getting that chrome lined brake. Been too busy with other stuff. When you get yours, please post a report. Thanks!

A report? Several of us have owned those brakes for years. What's to report? ;)

They're certainly not cheap, but they are very well-made, as you'd expect. Because of their chrome lining; they're pretty easy to clean, and extremely corrosion resistent.

That said, imo there's no problem with a K-VAR brake, so long as you clean it semi-regularly, (I doubt there's any actual pitting on SpetsnazGRU's brake or barrel, just caked on carbon).

A report? Several of us have owned those brakes for years. What's to report? wink.png

They're certainly not cheap, but they are very well-made, as you'd expect. Because of their chrome lining; they're pretty easy to clean, and extremely corrosion resistent.

That said, imo there's no problem with a K-VAR brake, so long as you clean it semi-regularly, (I doubt there's any actual pitting on SpetsnazGRU's brake or barrel, just caked on carbon).

Well, GregM1 said that the external finish sucks on his. Is it typical for these? How's the finish on yours? It's not a deal breaker or anything, but still good to know what to expect.

I personally wouldn't worry about it. I highly doubt you will have any corrosion issues with a non-chrome lined brake. I've shot over 2000 rounds through my 5.45 with no corrosion issues in the Arsenal muzzle brake with no corrosion (I do routinely see corrosion on the piston head).