If my life depended on a tactical reload, I would be dead.

I have owned this .410 several years now. It is the only AK style weapon I have handled. I cannot for the life of me swap a mag on this gun without fumbling. I can change a mag in my mini 14 without a hitch and in total darkness. (it is rock n lock as well) The saiga seems to have little to no margin of error in positioning a magazine.I wish there was a mag well for the .410 like the 12 guage.

If you load your mags to one less the max capacity it helps. I have a video in the "mag coupler" thread, if you practice it, it can become pretty easy. I don't know how well I could do it in an intense situation... for that I like the uzi or mac-10 "hands find hands" school of thought. On another subject I also like "spray and pray" vs "one shot one kill" line of thinking, but I don't look to ever have my life depend on a tactical reload.

Edited by bigdaddyhatty

Speed isn't as important in the beginning as just getting it right the first time. Start off as slow as you need to and just go through every step crisply and deliberately. Again, go as slow as you need to go even if it seems like slow motion. That way you develope good muscle memory. Keep repeating until you've got it down pat and then gradually dial up the speed. Once again, if you start fumbling, slow down again and keep repeating even if it gets boring. If you start getting sloppy or lazy put it down immediately and pick it up again later. Video tape yourself doing it to get another perspective and see if you can see anything you might need to do different.

• Like 3

Thanks for the replies. After watching bigdaddyhatty's video (and the ease of insertion), I took a close look at the wear pattern of my magazines and I think I found a problem. I started a new thread about a riveted post that seems be the source of my aggrevation. If you get a chance please look at the pic in that thread. Thanks again for your help

+1 to Dogman

I did a couple of videos of reloads in response to someone else's post. I sucked bad when I did that and it felt so slow to how well I can do when I am in practice. Even with fumbling though it looked fairly fast in the video. My point is that practice pays off. Once you get the muscle memory of doing it right, even when you feel a bit off, you are way faster. Your slowest time by reflex will be better than your fastest time doing it deliberately.

I also advocate getting some snap caps. It feels different with ammo in the mag. Also what you train is what you do, and that includes racking the bolt and pulling the trigger.

At my old corrections job (I was not an officer btw), the instructor told about a freind of his (another LE instructor) who was paranoid about having a gun pulled on him, so he practiced constantly at work and at home. He would have his family jump out at him with a dummy gun like Kato in the pink panther movies take the gun away, then do it again. He was off duty and randomly walked into a convenience store robber around the aisle. His reflexes kicked in and he stripped the gun from the robber like he trained. His reflexes kept going and he handed the gun back to the robber like he trained. His brain kicked in and he hit the surprised robber and took the gun a second time. A very common police incident is for cops who train these drills using their hand as a gun like cowboys and indians during training excercises do the same thing under stress. Apparently there were 3 documented incidents of that in my local PD. They then required that all training be done with weighted blue guns every time. (The funny thing was they trained in the Command voice well enough that the criminals complied with the cops pointing their fingers like a gun)

• Like 2