Newb with a tromix shark brake WTF question

I've suggested before in earlier threads that I would suggest using both loctite and a barrel nut. I'm a diesel mechanic and know all too well how easily things can loosen themselves when under vibrating and/or changing temperature conditions.

if you use loctite the barrel nut is superfluous.

I did notice one other thing... When I would attach the Shark Brake w/o barrel nut it would appear that my barrel extend too deep or far forward into the Shark Brake. I would think this may effect the performance somewhat. Maybe more so if you were using it for door breaching. (Not that I see myself breaching doors)

So if I back off the brake there are threads exposed on my barrel. I would say the barrel nut serves well to cover that "excess" up.

We have built and shipped thousands of guns with the brake Loctited on with no barrel nut. 99% of Tromix orders include the Shark Brake.

In fact, it's now well in the thousands of SBS's alone. Use whatever you want; I'm just saying if you use Loctite the nut serves no mechanical purpose.

Bob, what color loctite do you use for this? Thanks

From what I've read on the forums (and packaging), the Red 271 is rated as permanent high strength. That means once it sets, it can only be removed by heating with a torch and using tools to break the bond.

We have built and shipped thousands of guns with the brake Loctited on with no barrel nut. 99% of Tromix orders include the Shark Brake.

In fact, it's now well in the thousands of SBS's alone. Use whatever you want; I'm just saying if you use Loctite the nut serves no mechanical purpose.

Hey Bob,

I'm glad I can count on Loctite holding up, but you never answered my question...

I did notice one other thing... When I would attach the Shark Brake w/o barrel nut it would appear that my barrel extend too deep or far forward into the Shark Brake. I would think this may effect the performance somewhat. Maybe more so if you were using it for door breaching. (Not that I see myself breaching doors)

So if I back off the brake there are threads exposed on my barrel. I would say the barrel nut serves well to cover that "excess" up.

You don't think that would take away any functionality of the muzzle brake?

• 4 weeks later...

You didn't really ask a question, just made a comment. But those exposed threads are meaningless and the "barrel nut" being on there won't make it stronger.

if you use Loctite the nut serves no mechanical purpose.