Opinions needed on stocks

So I'm stumped. I cut off the rear tang and will be ordering a receiver block as soon as CSS has them back in stock. I know that I want a folding stock. I really like the way the ACE stocks look but I'm afraid I am a bit sensitive to recoil. I originally wanted a 7.5" ACE with a 1" recoil pad and a push button locking folder but now I'm leaning towards a Mako shock absorbing stock an AR buffer tube and folding mech.

I'll be running all kinds of ammo from cheap wally world stuff to mag slugs. I really only want to spend money once on the stock, so I'm hoping some of you can chime in. For example: If a plastic stocked Saiga running 00 buckshot = 100% felt recoil, what would be the percentage of felt recoil after switching to an ACE stock with a 1" pad? The same question goes for the Mako stock too, if anyone has one on their rig. I just want some sort of quasi quantifiable results and not just "it helps a bunch".

I also wanted to say that I have a Molot GK-01 brake and the gun has also been converted.

Edited by Paulie_Wallnutz

I think the ace pad is more firm. They make a limbsaver that will snap onto any M4 style stock that I think you would be happier with. Also, you can combine things like the mako with a pignose adapter and a hinge and then you get recoil absorbtion, LOP adjustment, folding and option of a cheek rest.

Here is what I have. http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/72311-guide-comfortable-wood-goodness-with-a-modern-touch/page__gopid__733318&do=findComment&comment=733318 I have a '74 stock with a C&H mercury tube and a kick-eez pad. Short of a pogo stock like the mako or enedine, I think that is about as much recoil as you can eliminate through the stock. I have a 1 lb tube, which is maybe overkill, but the combination does make a significant difference. I have a second saiga which is similarly equipped minus the mercury and with a slightly thinner yet softer sorbethane pad. IMO it is as good or better than any factory pad I have used. Most people would be satisfied with that, but I do prefer the mercury tube, especially with magnum loads.I like what I have, because It feels solid when mounting, yet kills a lot of the kick. I don't have any compensator yet, but people are always surprised how soft it shoots.

Maybe so, but you may as well do the gas work and have a gun that works right if that's where you are. A gas operated Any gun should work no matter how you hold it.

Edited by GunFun
  • Like 1

be careful because the mako takes away some cycling energy, so if your gun is borderline undergassed it could cause fte

Shock "absorbing" pads "absorb" energy that might be better put to use cycling the weapon. Refining the action does wonders for felt recoil and makes the weapon run better (when done correctly). I hate the ACE pads. They really screw up the feel of the weapon under rapid fire.

I just got done removing the gas block and found 3 ports. I opened them up to 3/32 from 5/64. I also profiled the bolt and am working on the polishing portion now. I guess if it has problems cycling after all these mods are done, I could go back in and either make the ports bigger or add a 4th port.

Yep, and go in small steps. putting metal back is a pain.

evlblkwpnz, you have some nice videos. I think I've seen them all and just bought a 100pk of crap ammo to use when testing the reliability of the gun. Hopefully when all is said and done, it will run reliably on cheap ammo without a spring kit.

Thank you. You are exactly why I post those videos. In the beginning, I wanted to inspire others that their S12 can run reliably with affordable blasting ammo and the famous MD-20 too. You have a very wise goal and the end result will be worth the effort if you take your time and never give up on it. Nothing badass ever came easy ;)

Your statement in red is one of the things that makes it all worth it to me. Mission accomplished....

The 1" ACE pads give the weapon a very bouncy feel under recoil. I'm not sure what happened to the video I had, but I was shooting a S12 with the 1" pad and it was very hard to control the weapon under rapid fire. IIRC, I had a few weird failures as well. The next time out, I shot the "Saiga 12 Drum Dumps with Federal bulk and closed bolt loading mod" video with the same S12 with much better results. If you go with a pad, go with a 1/2". If you do not like it, I will buy it from you. Doesn't matter if it is Limbsaver or ACE, but I recommend the Limbsaver because the ACE pads are so bouncy. I think a lot of people try to run the pads in an effort to get the stock to "stick" to their shoulder and not slide around under recoil or rapid fire.

I just got done removing the gas block and found 3 ports. I opened them up to 3/32 from 5/64. I also profiled the bolt and am working on the polishing portion now. I guess if it has problems cycling after all these mods are done, I could go back in and either make the ports bigger or add a 4th port.

I have tried a few different porting combos of size and number. From my experience, 4 @ .093" works extremely well on 18" to 19" S12s and I have never clogged a port.

I have tried a few different porting combos of size and number. From my experience, 4 @ .093" works extremely well on 18" to 19" S12s and I have never clogged a port.

listen to this guy, occasionally i get the feeling he knows a little about saigas wink.png

listen to this guy, occasionally i get the feeling he knows a little about saigas wink.png

Well, that or I'm on a long run of great luck ;)

+1 on the AR slip-on Limbsaver. It isn't super thick; part of the reason it is so comfortable to use isn't as much the softness (though it IS soft), as the width. It spreads the recoil force over a much larger area than something like the ACE or other relatively narrow recoil pad. I have not had any issue cycling with the Limbsaver on my S-12, but then again my stock is a very rigid skeletonized type, so the only real give is in the pad.

Well, that or I'm on a long run of great luck wink.png

you want to take me to vegas? lol