Can somebody help with Identification please?

Alright guys. It's been a while since I've been on here but as you can imagine, with deer season and then tax season the shop has been fairly busy. At any rate, I had a customer bring me two guns yesterday for free in return for me helping them out when they really needed it. I tried to pay them for them but they wern't having it. Good people. Anyway, one was a rough but functional CETME lacking only a bolt carrier and bolt (which I happened to have)! However, the other is an AK reciever that I can't identiofy. I am far from an AK expert so I thought I'd ask the fella who'd know. I am going to try and post pics but it is contoured like a valmet. It's milled with no milled dimples (there wouldn't be room for them). The rear of the receiver is slanted and it is chambered in 7.62 though the barrel may be scrapped. I have no clue what this thing is. Aside from a SN and a few assembly numbers, there is nothing I've found in the way of identifying markings. If you can help I'd really appreciate it. I'df like to start another project gun and give it to my wife as she's wanted one since I built a group of Saigas a while back. Thanks for your help and its good to be back on here again.

Cody

post-35415-0-41594800-1329395079_thumb.jpg

post-35415-0-57366100-1329395098_thumb.jpg

Gotcha. Thanks very much. I figured it was Chinese. Now comes the hard part, say I wanted a "standard" ak butt on it. Would I be best off getting one and milling it to fit or is there already something out there on the market that would allow for this? I'll be fabricating the hand gaurd and I've got enough parts laying around to get the action put together. I'd also need a rear sight block and while I got a gas block, it's less than perfect. Do you have any thoughts on sources for what I need and what it is I'd really need? Thanks again though.

My Hunter's barrel was a bit thicker than my WASR's so it might be prudent to whip out the calipers and take a measurement. The Hunter uses a Galil or Valmet-style gas tube, which attached directly to the receiver. The rear sights would either be on the back of the gas tube or mounted on the receiver cover. I don't know if a surplus gas tube will work or not.

As for putting on a standard stock, I'd not found any adapters. It might require a good deal of welding and machining.

Edited by DrThunder88

I got 0.631" at the gas port. Bear in mind these are the $30 calipers I keep at my desk for quick stuff so they could be off a bit but generally they are not. If anybody has any extra parts of any type let me know because I can see already I'm going to be doing a lot of fabrication in this little project so the more the better. Thanks again to all of you for the help.

You'll probably want a new trigger guard, and FCG. I'm not sure about the FCG... The Hunter is really weird, same basic idea as a Saiga with the trigger being toward the rear, but instead of a linkage the Chinese just made a really long, bent trigger. I'm not sure if a regular AKM FCG will work. If you're looking to build this rifle with a separate pistol grip and stock, I'm guessing you'll want a pistol grip stud that can be riveted or welded to the receiver as is normal on a milled gun. I'll drop you a PM with a link to a business that sells them.

I've had my hunter for a couple of years. Still haven't bothered firing it.

I'll actually need everything. It was just a reciever and a barrel when it was given to me. Haven't decided if I'll press this barrel too and put another one in or use whats there. It looks like the armchair gunsmith who had it before was going to be slick and cut the barrel down, to the point of illegal I might add assuming they didn't pay uncle Sam and get his blessing. However, about halfway through his adventure I'd say the hacksaw was getting dull and he stopped. So, I have the option to press it, turn a new crown on it and thread it. At that point I can either tack the flash suppresor or I guess I could go ahead and apply for SBR. I'm not doing anything until I decide but I will go ahead and get the rest of the rifle put together.