piston extension loose?

My saiga 12 doesn't allow the bolt carrier to close all the way if you drop it back slowly, only when you do it hard. I took my gun apart and the piston extension has some wobble or play on it. When I watch it try to go back in the hole where the extension hits the gas piston it cocks and doesn't go in.

It is threaded, so can it be screwed down more? Or do I need a replacement?

Perfectly normal as Nailbomb said.

The piston has a pin pressed in through the side to keep it from spinning, sometimes they loosen slightly depending on the thread tolerances the guy machining it set it to for each run so some will wobbble some with use and some stay fairly tight but either way it never affects cycling.

The carrier will smooth up some with use but always pull it completely to the read and let it go, all semi automatic firearms that I know of weren't intended to have the bolt rode forward.

The exreactor is sliding into extractor slot in the barrel and spring tension is holding the carrier from full battery.

This is normal. You want enough pressure to grab the shell and extract it and that is why I don't use lighter springs.

As everyone has said pull back the charging handle and let it fly, it's designed that way.

Also the carrier extension is not pinned, it's peened on each side and becomes a mechanical lock. It's normal and benificial for it to be loose and float.

• Like 1