Can I use a Bulgarian hammer with a G2 trigger?

I have ordered an IZ 340 and am getting together the parts for my conversion. This thread: http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/68026-tapco-g2-has-damaged-my-saiga-223-bolt/ has me worried about the Tapco hammer deforming the rear of my bolt as the hammer is not flat where contact is made. So if I have enough compliance parts can I use this Bulgy hammer http://www.copesdistributing.net/bulgarian-hammer-p-1651.html in conjunction with the G2 trigger and disconnector? I would rather use an original military hammer if possible rather than dremeling the Tapco hammer to "reprofile" it.

If that's what you want to do, just use the OEM hammer.

Reprofiling is no big deal and the angle on the hammer wing is matched to the angle of the hook and disconnector. I believe the factory hammer is similar enough to work fine and others have done it.

Honestly though, I don't get why you are afraid of doing a five minute job. just put a pin through both hammers and remove material from the tapco until it matches the OEM.

• Like 1

The reason I don't want to use the OEM hammer is I'm not going to re-install the BHO. I plan on getting one of the enhanced safety's with the BHO cutout and so it won't be needed, otherwise I would. I suppose I could just Dremel the G2, but using an original military part is just more attractive to me, just my personality I guess. I think I'll spring for the bulgy hammer, and then compare all 3 side by side and decide if dremeling the G2 or installing the Bulgy is the best solution. It'll come down to whether or not the hammer wing on the bulgy hammer fits nicely with the hook on the G2 trigger. I was just curious if anyone else had done it.

Bulgarian or original Saiga hammer works fine with Tapco G2, but may not wear in as smoothly as a matched G2 group. Saiga hammer will need a properly sized spacer for the right side if you ditch the BHO, or else it will walk laterally on the axis pin.

The original military part is no better than a tapco. Countries that use AKs mostly treat them as a disposable tool. All the hammers are purposely soft and will peen against the firing pin. They are intended to be softer than the back of the carrier, so that the replaceable part takes all the wear.

You could use the Saiga hammer and a washer to space it over and have the same effect. The BHO is really worth having.

I have, for a time, used a G2 trigger with a Russian hammer. Works okay. A Russian hammer with an Arsenal trigger will cause the carrier to bind a little bit, but not as bad as a complete G2 FCG.

Dinzags polished Arsenal FCG works good though, and does NOT bind, no work needed, as he polishes them very well. Also, the G2 feels boxy and cheap after using the Arsenal for a while, which unlike the G2, has rounded edges and feels better overall.

Edited by Agent Lemon