Tapco G2 problems and CSS triggerguard not fitting

I started my conversion today, and I managed to get to the step where I would install the trigger guard. I purchased the "bolt on" model from CSS, and when I tried to put it on my 7.62x39, the rivet holes were off. (The holes in the trigger guard only made it 3/4 of the way through the hole.) Is there a way to fix this or should I contact CSS. On the site, it claims the trigger guard should be an exact fit to my rifle...

Another issue I had is with my Tapco G2 (single hook,) when I went to assemble it,roll pin would not glide through. I have tried sliding it through the trigger holes alone, as well as just the disconnector, the problem arises when I put them both together. It almost appears as the the roll pin is going in at a slight angle. Is this my error or did I get a lemon that I need to send back?

sounds like user error. Can you explain more. Also can you post a link to the bolt on model you got from CSS?

I started my conversion today, and I managed to get to the step where I would install the trigger guard. I purchased the "bolt on" model from CSS, and when I tried to put it on my 7.62x39, the rivet holes were off. (The holes in the trigger guard only made it 3/4 of the way through the hole.) Is there a way to fix this or should I contact CSS. On the site, it claims the trigger guard should be an exact fit to my rifle...

Another issue I had is with my Tapco G2 (single hook,) when I went to assemble it,roll pin would not glide through. I have tried sliding it through the trigger holes alone, as well as just the disconnector, the problem arises when I put them both together. It almost appears as the the roll pin is going in at a slight angle. Is this my error or did I get a lemon that I need to send back?

Rifle specs vary and you may need to elongate one of the rivet holes on your rifle. No where do we claim anything is an exact fit with these rifles. The trigger may have a burr or too much plating if it is not letting the sleeve through.

• Like 1

Here is the trigger guard I purchased: http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-365/Saiga-Trigger-Guard-DIY/Detail

I apologize for saying "exact," I was thinking of "works perfect," which is definitely different. Which of the rivet holes do you recommend elongating? Also, have you ever heard of the problem I am describing with the G2?

Here is the trigger guard I purchased: http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-365/Saiga-Trigger-Guard-DIY/Detail I apologize for saying "exact," I was thinking of "works perfect," which is definitely different. Which of the rivet holes do you recommend elongating? Also, have you ever heard of the problem I am describing with the G2?

Seems like there was another post recently on this issue. If I am understanding your problem right, i.e., the trigger guard holes dont line up with the rivet holes on the receiver, correct? Install the screw next to the mag latch first, then you should be able to pull the trigger guard enough with your fingers to get the rear screw through the hole. A couple of the conversions I did were tighter in this respect..

... Another issue I had is with my Tapco G2 (single hook,) when I went to assemble it,roll pin would not glide through. I have tried sliding it through the trigger holes alone, as well as just the disconnect, the problem arises when I put them both together. It almost appears as the the roll pin is going in at a slight angle. Is this my error or did I get a lemon that I need to send back?

If it fits through fine while out of the rifle then you may need to wiggle it around some or push down on it with your fingers when installing the pin. If that doesnt work try swapping the two pins around. I kinda had that issue with my .308 conversion and the pin swap worked for me, didnt think the trigger was going to install (no problems on the .223, 5.45 or 7.62 conversions however). Sometimes you just have to walk off for a bit and take a break and come back and try it again when you are less aggravated, lol.

Update: Today I elongated both the holes in the trigger guard slightly until it fit. It is now fitted along with my buttstock and PG. The only thing missing from my conversion now is the trigger and firing mechanism...

Tjohn: The sleeve does not slide through outside of the rifle, I am sorry if that wasn't clear. The sleeve will slide through both the disconnector and the trigger when the two are not connected. As soon as I assemble the mechanism, the sleeve will slide 2/3 of the way through, but not through the second trigger hole. I honestly think the G2 I got is defective, as the issues I am experiencing are not any I have seen mentioned elsewhere.

... The sleeve does not slide through outside of the rifle, I am sorry if that wasn't clear. The sleeve will slide through both the disconnector and the trigger when the two are not connected. As soon as I assemble the mechanism, the sleeve will slide 2/3 of the way through, but not through the second trigger hole. I honestly think the G2 I got is defective, as the issues I am experiencing are not any I have seen mentioned elsewhere.

Perhaps I missed something, I dont know if I am I understanding you right. Are you not assembling the trigger, disconnector and sleeve before you drop it in the rifle, or are you saying that they won't line up to be assembled?

The trigger group should look like the middle picture under part 3 of this instruction set, before you drop it into the rifle: http://www.tapco.com...nstructions.pdf. You may have to push down on the disconnecter to get the sleeve through. If you cant get it assembled to look like that middle picture in part 3, it may very well be out of spec.

Edited by TJohn

Thanks for all the help everyone. Tapco responded to my inquiry today and they informed me that they had a batch of G2's with the same problem I am experiencing. They just said to send it back for a new one.

• 9 months later...

Can someone recommend which hole to elongate? I have the same issue with my angled trigger guard I ordered from CSS for my x39. I may try to bend it, but I don' want to distort the shape too much. Only about 1/3 of the back hole is visible when I have the screw through the hole closest to the mag release. Thanks

I had a similar problem with the Tromix trigger guard I used on my Saiga 12 but being stamped I could just stretch it a little. Like CSS said these guns tend to vary a little so you do have to do some "fitting" to make things work.