Making my own firing pin, and (maybe) a striker

Tried this allready with steel rod bought from lowes, sent it through heat treat (carbonized and hardend), but the parts came out a little too warped for them to turn properly. So Im thinking about trying it with something that would require no heat treating. Like tungsten or stainless steel. I found plenty of places that sell the strikers (called firing pins for some reason), but no one has the (actuall) firing pin.

Any suggestions on what would be the best choice for materials??

For a firing pin I would just buy the Tromix heavy duty one.

According to the owners manual,....that part is called the striker,......I need part that is known as #24 in the owners manuall,.....the firing pin.

It must go by a different name in Russia or something. If it's supposed to be called something different please let me know, could be why I cant find the part anywhere on the net.

Get ya piece of "DRILL ROD" and you will not be cutting it with a hacksaw.

Grind it like you want, then temper it softer.

They dont do tempering where I work,...just hardending.

Hard turning is quite common though, would drill rod be too tough and possibly damage the bolt?

CSS has it in stock.

they have the "striker" in stock,....Im using the names in the owners manuall. If it's supposed to be called something else let me know.

Im used to AR-15/ M-16, where its all one peice. Which brings me to another question. would there be an advantage to making the pin and stricker as one peice or would it be best to keep it as two seperate parts??

for the part you are missing, grind the tit off an AK firing pin. i should've looked and compared when i had my bolt stripped, but if it isn't exactly that, it's pretty close.

for parts like this you want to turn, buy some S7 tool steel drill rod. onlinemetals dot com sells it air hardened and turns real clean and easy. S7 is shock absorbing. i've used it to make oversized barrel pins for AK barrels and it holds up just fine. can't think of a better material actually.

just thought of titanium. lighter and stronger, but expensive. I have never worked with the stuff, do no idea on machinability. I have read/heard its not easy.

and the shavings catch fire!

AWESOME! thanks for the replies fellas. I just got a (M-10) AK today as a matter of fact. So Ill take a look and compare the two parts. Definately gonna buy the tromix pin though. one less part ill have to make. and if the AK pin will work as a replacement for the (WTF it's called) part. I'll make a mention of it,.....and take a pic as well of the two side by side.

I was thinking titanuim as well, but I read a really good debate in another gun forum concerning titanuim VS. steel / tungsten for firing pins. And it would seem to me that for the saiga 12, a harder metal would be better,.....but everyone's opinion is different.