What type of background check?

Some checks always take longer than others due to whichever Government Agency's crap your check goes through.

My DHS/DOT HazMat Endorsement on my CDL, took over a month to clear, fingerprints/forms took a hour, the rest was bureaucratic bullshit.

My C&R tooks 4-5 months, my VAF took 8 months.

My last firearm's NICS took 3-5 minutes.

I was with a friend buying a pistol Saturday and his check had a reply of "further review"... Whatever that means. He didn't have to wait for the pistol though. Only thing in his record is 8 years of military service.

Yep WV is a cash and carry state no wait periods but for the last 5 years I get delayed 80% of the time the other 20% they go to a futher review and I am approved. In PA I bought a rifle and got DENIED so I had to file a challege letter with the PA state police 4 weeks later I got approved and from now on anything I buy in PA I have to show them a copy of the letter and they enter the serial number on it and I am good to go. My dad is 62 and got delayed for the first time last week and he is picking his new gun up tomorow, so yep something is going on with the ATF.

Edited by SCHULTZE

I wish my concealed carry permit gave me a pass, but between having that and an 03FFL I'm pretty sure that I won't get denied at least! Never ran into a delay either, always been about five minutes before they come back out front with the rest of the paperwork.

I was with a friend buying a pistol Saturday and his check had a reply of "further review"... Whatever that means. He didn't have to wait for the pistol though. Only thing in his record is 8 years of military service.

If he delpoyed it might raise a flag, and cause them follow up. Every one who has ever deployed is on a watch list. In most cases it does not cause a problem with buying guns.

If he delpoyed it might raise a flag, and cause them follow up. Every one who has ever deployed is on a watch list. In most cases it does not cause a problem with buying guns.

Yeah he was deployed to Bosnia, Kosovo and a few other conflicts. It's sad that our veterans get "watched" like criminals.

Yeah he was deployed to Bosnia, Kosovo and a few other conflicts. It's sad that our veterans get "watched" like criminals.

Espcially since they are the ones sending us there. I love my country and fear my government.

When doing it by phone, usually you speak with one person at the NICS and they tell you 'proceed.' If something triggers 'this transaction requires further review' you are given to one of the FBI examiners and they either tell within a minute or two you can 'proceed', you are 'delayed', or (rarely) 'denied.' A delay may be caused by something as simple as having a common name but you didn't provide your SSN. Have heard that a security clearance while in the military could trigger a 'further review.'

As far as I know, everyone in the military gets at least a "secret" level of clearance. One of the many jobs I did while in was as a Fire Direction NCO which got me a "Top Secret" level. Not sure how many levels there are but I'm sure there's many MANY higher than what I had. I've also never had even so much as a delay while purchasing firearms. I always provide my SS number on the form as well, I figured it's some of the "least private" information that our government knows about me after 15 years of service.

• Like 1

I'd guess the delays due to military service have more to do with two branches of government not playing well together. Then some deep dark conspiracy to deprive vets of guns for 2-3 days.

I'd assume that no branches of the military share their information with ATF, so ATF has to ask each and every time.