SGM magazines & conversion

Hey all,

I tried the search function to try to find a definitive answer and came out with an assumption. So here goes...

If I convert the Saiga .223 to an AK configuration (with bullet guide), can I use Surefire magazines? Or is there something else I need to do to the rifle? Will I need to modify the magazines at all either? Thanks.

TG

On mine I had to notch the front lip of the Surefire mag and my factory Saiga mags (to look like an AK surplus mag) after conversion and installation of the bullet guide, in order for them to work/lock in the rifle. If you are careful of your placement of the bullet guide you might be able to get away without notching the mag front (seems like I have seen some report this, but not sure if it was on the .223's or a different caliber).

Edited by TJohn

Hey,

Look at the Carolina Shooters Supply website under videos for bullet guides, watch towards end and they show a modified mag and where you need to shave material off from the magazine. That's what I used as a guide on my mags and it worked perfect. I converted x4 SGM mags to work with my Bullet guide and took it out friday, 200 trouble free rounds later of cheap Russian ammo and I'm a happy camper.

Ok, got off my butt to take some pics, here goes:

Factory Mag:

DSC01909-1.jpg

SGM Magazine Modified:

DSC01902-1.jpg

Front SGM Magazine Modified:

DSC01907.jpg

Used a Demel with cutting wheel for cut, and a hand file for shape. Now that it is tested and I know it works, I can take some fine sandpaper and smooth it out and even it out perfectly to look OEM. But honestly, I'll probably never get around ot it as it'll get some scuffs from mag changes anyways. Hope this helps.

Edited by Roger Roger

If you are going to install a bullet guide, you might as well get the Circle 10 mags. They are milspec, metal reinforced and a little cheaper.

So true if you live in a free state, but I like the bolt hold open feature of SGM and I'm in California (till I retire) so I have to use 10 round magazines regardless.

If you are going to install a bullet guide, you might as well get the Circle 10 mags. They are milspec, metal reinforced and a little cheaper.

I would go with the Circle 10's, but I prefer the 20 round capacity and profile. Just my preference. But with the bullet guide, it is nice to know I can use other hi-cap mags.

TG