so i worked up another slug load, using ramshot zip powder. zip has a slower burn rate than the wst powder i was using previously. unfortunately there is zero info using zip powder for shot shells. so i started low and worked up. started with 18 grains and increased the the load by 1 grain until i reached 28 grains. at 28 grains it was showing no signs of overpressure, but i decided not to push my luck. i backed it off to 26.5 grains and am quite happy with them.

hull Winchester universal.

win 209 primer

26.5 grains of ramshot zip.

wad aa 12

projectile. lee key hole slug (1 0z)

if you decide to use a smaller powder charge you will need some type of cardboard spacer to get a proper crimp. as it is they crimp quite nicely. i have no idea what the velocity is (definitely faster than my first load), they cycle my s12 on setting 1 with 0 cycling issues. use all info at your own risk!

• Like 1
What's the pressure? Either PSI or LUP will be fine.

WIthout any LOAD DATA... and the proper scientific apparattus to measure pressures of a fired cartridge... I dont think you will get ANY info along THAT route...

:smoke:

BTW Indy your suggestion of using silicon chalking instead of wax works well in a double barrel. Wont melt and is a lot firmer than wax.

Results are every bit as impressive as any slug.

Edited by Rhodes1968
What's the pressure? Either PSI or LUP will be fine.

WIthout any LOAD DATA... and the proper scientific apparattus to measure pressures of a fired cartridge... I dont think you will get ANY info along THAT route...

000.gif

exactly! i suppose i could send a few out for testing. a couple things to watch for when working up a load.

1 check the primers. if it looks like its bulging around the firing pin strike, or looks like its being "pushed" out you may be reaching the limits of your pressure.

2. check the base of the hulls.

3. check the hulls for bulges or splits.

granted its probably not the most ideal powder, i had a half pound left over from when i used to load 9mm. and i wanted to get some use out of it. so i decided to do some research on the burn rate and work up a load starting light.

when im testing a new load i generally use an old bolt action shotgun.

like indy said, without actual data or testing equipment you wont know the exact pressure. however i feel the pressure is completely within safe limits as i have had zero issues with the primers or extraction of the shells.

again all data is for informational uses only. if you choose to copy said data you do so at your own risk.

Edited by Pusca Semiautomata Luneta
  • Like 1

I cut the tops off of Federal bulk. Melt the shot into a .690" round ball then drop it back into the case. Works great and costs me .23 a round.

Dolomite

ive done a similar load but instead of cutting off the top i just open the crimp, then push the ball down and recrimp.

• Like 1

I cut the tops off of Federal bulk. Melt the shot into a .690" round ball then drop it back into the case. Works great and costs me .23 a round.

Dolomite

ive done a similar load but instead of cutting off the top i just open the crimp, then push the ball down and recrimp.

Too much work for me considering I will never pick up the hulls. I made a die that doesn't crimp but tapers the nose of the hull. I think it helps make it more reliable with the pointed front as well. I have fired at least 200 rounds this way without a single issue.

Dolomite

That sounds like a LOT of powder, what perssure is the base load?

read above.

Dolomite

Too much work for me considering I will never pick up the hulls. I made a die that doesn't crimp but tapers the nose of the hull. I think it helps make it more reliable with the pointed front as well. I have fired at least 200 rounds this way without a single issue.

Dolomite

as long as it works . i just did the recrimp to keep it all together.

• Like 1

I use Alliant Green dot, 18.5 grans makes 10,100 PSI.

I just thought you might know what the base pressure was.

I think I will stick to mine.

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/RecipePrint.aspx?page=/reloaders/RecipePrint.aspx&shotype=&weight=1.125&weightdis=1+1%2f8&shellid=493&gtypeid=3&gauge=12&lid=863

I use Alliant Green dot, 18.5 grans makes 10,100 PSI.

I just thought you might know what the base pressure was.

I think I will stick to mine.

http://www.alliantpo...auge=12&lid=863

the only way to know for sure would be to have it sent off for pressure testing. like i said just using up the powder i already have on hand.

• Like 1

Making up loads always made me a bit nervous, just be careful, and it looks like you are.

I have not had a firearm go boom in the wrong place yet, and dont want to push it.

I tend to stick with what is known and dont stray far form that.

hey red im having trouble finding the data you described. what weight of slug are you using? hulls? wads? according to their data 18.5 grains with a 1 oz shot load should only run 7100 psi. and thats with shot. slugs will run lower pressure as they dont expand down the barrel like shot does.

• Like 1

I use the load data for 1 1/8 oz shot. (as that is what was in the hull)

18.5 grans powder.

1 oz Lee slug.

CCI 209M primer

Win bulk hulls

I did not know the pressure would be lower for a slug.

I am going to go with you on that one.

My S12 eats the load well, good recoil and no FTE.

18.5 grans powder.

1 oz Lee slug.

CCI 209M primer

Win bulk hulls

WAD? if you are using 18.5 grains of powder with a 1 0z slug then your pressure is going to be WAY lower than 10,100 psi you quoted earlier. it should actually be closer to 7,600 if you go by aliants data and you should be getting around 1,145 fps velocity. personally if i where going with green dot id go with this recipe

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/RecipePrint.aspx?shotype=&weight=1&weightdis=1&shellid=493&gtypeid=3&gauge=12&lid=681

1300 fps with 8700 psi. not too shabby.

• Like 1

I wuldnt consider 26 grains of powder to be a LOT of powder... Start shooting some of my 1 1/8th oz hunting loads with 36 grains or so of LONGSHOT powder... talk about KICK!!! WHOOO HOOOOOO!!!! :up: wanna talk about FAST... almost 1600 FPS!!!! :up:

18.5 grans powder.

1 oz Lee slug.

CCI 209M primer

Win bulk hulls

WAD? if you are using 18.5 grains of powder with a 1 0z slug then your pressure is going to be WAY lower than 10,100 psi you quoted earlier. it should actually be closer to 7,600 if you go by aliants data and you should be getting around 1,145 fps velocity. personally if i where going with green dot id go with this recipe

http://www.alliantpo...auge=12&lid=681

1300 fps with 8700 psi. not too shabby.

Wad "WAA12"

Thanks for data, I will try some loads and give a report.

I wuldnt consider 26 grains of powder to be a LOT of powder... Start shooting some of my 1 1/8th oz hunting loads with 36 grains or so of LONGSHOT powder... talk about KICK!!! WHOOO HOOOOOO!!!! 032.gif wanna talk about FAST... almost 1600 FPS!!!! 032.gif

000.gif

Sounds like a load to try.

I got some learning to do.

Thanks guys!

Edited by RED333
  • Like 1

I wuldnt consider 26 grains of powder to be a LOT of powder... Start shooting some of my 1 1/8th oz hunting loads with 36 grains or so of LONGSHOT powder... talk about KICK!!! WHOOO HOOOOOO!!!! 032.gif wanna talk about FAST... almost 1600 FPS!!!! 032.gif

000.gif

yep , ive loaded a few of those , went that route after you posted it earlier. and yes it has some bark, way more than what i posted here. load it up with some bb shot and youve got some fun on your hands!

• Like 1

ok so ive done some more research and found a burn rate chart on hodgdons web page. http://www.hodgdon.com/burn-rate.html it puts ramshot zip right next to IMR, Co SR 7625 but just a little slower so cross referencing the load data sheet i came up wit this.

http://data.hodgdon.com/shotshell_load.asp according to that the pressure using 26.grains of zip with all components described should be right around 6600 psi with a velocity of 1250.

granted this is not an exact comparisson.

• Like 1

For testing velocity and pressure I recommend Tom Armbrust. I've trusted him for dozens of loads.

His equipment includes: Chronograph: Oehler M-35P Skyscreen III

Ballistics barrel: Krieger that is 30" long, about 2" in diameter, with a skeet bore.

He was charging $5 per shell and I send him 3-5 shells per test load.

Tom Armbrust

1108 W. May Avenue

McHenry, IL. 60051

All loads must be sent to him via ground. I've had good experience with UPS ground. Do NOT use the US Postal service.

For testing velocity and pressure I recommend Tom Armbrust. I've trusted him for dozens of loads.

His equipment includes: Chronograph: Oehler M-35P Skyscreen III

Ballistics barrel: Krieger that is 30" long, about 2" in diameter, with a skeet bore.

He was charging $5 per shell and I send him 3-5 shells per test load.

Tom Armbrust

1108 W. May Avenue

McHenry, IL. 60051

All loads must be sent to him via ground. I've had good experience with UPS ground. Do NOT use the US Postal service.

yeah i had considered that route, i still have the address in my pm box

• Like 1

BTW Indy your suggestion of using silicon chalking instead of wax works well in a double barrel. Wont melt and is a lot firmer than wax.

how do you mix the shot and chaulk together,pm me if you want to

I dont recall anything about talking about silicon chalking... :unsure:

Not me... Sorry...

I dont recall anything about talking about silicon chalking... unsure.png

Not me... Sorry...

000.gif

Chalk it up to one of my frequent brain farts.

It was someone else, "preparehandbook" to be precise. 018.gif

Edited by Rhodes1968