Reloading Berdan Primed Cases

Useing the water is a smart way to decap.

My thought, can you drill a center hole in the bottom of the chamber,

that would remove the anvil, making it easier to decap latter.

That way you could use Boxer primers.

RCBS RCBS Military/Berdan Decapping Tool Md: 9525 .

Found it at LG Outdoors

Thats all well and fine... but WHERE are you going to GET the PROPER SIZED Berdan primers to put back in?!??!?! they are not one size fits all... there are SEVERAL sizes of them...

:smoke:

I am not saying its a bad thing to WANT to reload berdan primed cases... If I could find a source for the primers, HELL... I would reload em myself... Just got no CLUE where to find them... or I would consider it... and because of the scarcity in the USA... its just not worth the hassles for the FEW rounds I COULD reload...

:smoke:

I am not saying its a bad thing to WANT to reload berdan primed cases... If I could find a source for the primers, HELL... I would reload em myself... Just got no CLUE where to find them... or I would consider it... and because of the scarcity in the USA... its just not worth the hassles for the FEW rounds I COULD reload...

000.gif

They are available at dagammo dot com. There are 2 types, one of them is specific to the x39, the other is for all others. I don't know anything about them. I wish I could confirm that these would work on yugo surplus 7.62x39. I definitely need to pick some up though.

Its not a simple manner to be sure but then projects like this are not done because they are easy or for that matter all that imeaditealy practical.

Could it be worthwhile? Absolutely, always good to have another path to good ammo available.

My interest is I have a few hundred German MEN 7.62 NATO cases that are in excellent condition, those are just not being sold lately.

I have already found that a cam bullet puller, varget powder, and Hornady SST make for a hell of a round out of marginal surplus.

I think the yugo 39R brass might relaod with the KV24N .217 primers in the link you provided. Good brass also. Put a micrometer on them and find out and call them to confirm.

5000 primers is crap load of primers for a small project to be sure.

Edited by Rhodes1968

just about 27 bucks a thousand isnt a bad price either... athough ya gotta consider hazmat in there too... MAN.... I didnt need to see that link... sad.png

000.gif

I think it is free shipping, so you would just have to pay a $25 haz-mat.

I presume you can use ANY set of full length resizing dies on berdan primed cases... just remove the decapping pin from the die before use... and you are good to go!! 032.gif

I guess on a set of LEE dies, I would have to CUT OFF the decapping pin, as it is integral to the center neck sizing post. But for a 3 dollar part... not a big deal.

000.gif

Exactly right by what I see Indy. Like you said the price on the primers isnt that bad at all.

Not sure what I would do with 5000 of them but hey always another chuckle head like me out there to buy some.

This thing may just work after all.

The money pit deepens... wink.png

My Berdan primers are a nice reserve in case boxer primers ever get hard to find. Get teh RCBS decapping tool. Any other method is just silly.

I think I need the $100 to spend on primers or supplies, not a tool that isn't needed.

Just call me silly..

Edited by Rhodes1968
  • 2 weeks later...

I have been reloading berdan cases for a few years now. I even wrote a detailed walkthrough with pictures on the SKS boards. http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=57300.msg657520#msg657520

I started out using box primers but you can get berdan from powdervalley now. There are two sizes of large rifle berdan primers. One for 7.62x39 and one for 7.62 NATO. Don't bother with anything that uses small berdan. Too much of a pain.

Thanks Phobos that is very simular to a method, may even be the exact same one, we kicked around a couple of years ago.

I wouldnt bother reloading steel but I have tons of brass from mil-surp.

Now that we can get primers maybe it can be used.

I was trying to locate bullets for 8mm Mauser and it seems there are no cheap options, same thing with 7.62x39. Is it even possible to re-load these rounds cheaper or at least close to cost of new? As far as 7.62x39 it seems like it would be cheaper to just buy wolf ammo.

The only reason to reload 39R is for accuracy and/or more devastating wound channels.

Not a lot of choice of bullets for that round.

Cost savings would be negligible given you can buy the stuff for 20 cents a round but then good commercial hunting ammo will run close to a dollar each.