I am going to be doing a conversion soon and I wanted to put on a dragunov style stock. Does this count as 1 or 2 parts. Before I get flamed for not searching, I heard both answers and I am trying to find out which is right. Since this is physically only one part wouldnt it only count as 1?

It doesn't really matter if you count it as 1 or 2 parts. The amount of parts you add is not relevant. What is important is having 10 or less foreign made parts on the weapon. There is a good checklist in one of the stickies in the 922 section.

• Like 2

to put it differently, it can count against you as two parts.

If it is the izhmash "saiganov" stock for unconverted saigas, it was an importer option approved as sporting with all the RAA saiga models, so you can use it with low cap 5< magazines without playing 922r

If I put an izhmash "saiganov" stock on it would it count as 1 part since it was counted as only a buttstock when it was imported?

Negative. It's still an import stock. It has to be MADE IN USA to count as a part reduction.

You can use a Saiganov stock so with an unrestored Saiga so long as you do not use any thing larger than a ten round mag, and still be 922r compliant.

If I put an izhmash "saiganov" stock on it would it count as 1 part since it was counted as only a buttstock when it was imported?

NO. Here's how it works. If you have a factory size magazine, it has been deemed "sporting" and improved for importation with that stock or the monte carlo style. Sporting guns don't have to go through 922r so the count is irrelevant.

Once you put in a bigger magazine, then it is not in the sporting configuration. It would then count against you as two imported parts: 1 stock, and arguably 1 pistol grip.

If you are in 922r territory the only thing that matters is how many imported parts you have, not how many USA parts.... If I have 15 green apples and you give me 2 red apples, how many green apples do I have? 15. Adding red apples doesn't make the green apples go away unless you take off the green russian apples.

This stock has the advantage that you don't have to move the trigger group to achieve a fairly comfortable legal conversion, or that you can have a pistol grip without a legal conversion. In fact, you can replace your puck and fore arm, or puck and thread protector with USA parts and have a gun that changes from a Legally US made 922 r compliant gun with a USA magazine, to a foriegn sporting weapon with the factory 5 installed.

• Like 1

Ok I thought just adding a pistol grip would put it in 922r territory and was confused on how this style of stock was approved for import. Sorry for the confusion. It seems like ATF compliance for anything cool seems like a pain sometimes. Now you mentioned replacing the puck and thread protector. Which parts are those?

NO. Here's how it works. If you have a factory size magazine, it has been deemed "sporting" and improved for importation with that stock or the monte carlo style. Sporting guns don't have to go through 922r so the count is irrelevant.

Once you put in a bigger magazine, then it is not in the sporting configuration. It would then count against you as two imported parts: 1 stock, and arguably 1 pistol grip.

If you are in 922r territory the only thing that matters is how many imported parts you have, not how many USA parts.... If I have 15 green apples and you give me 2 red apples, how many green apples do I have? 15. Adding red apples doesn't make the green apples go away unless you take off the green russian apples.

This stock has the advantage that you don't have to move the trigger group to achieve a fairly comfortable legal conversion, or that you can have a pistol grip without a legal conversion. In fact, you can replace your puck and fore arm, or puck and thread protector with USA parts and have a gun that changes from a Legally US made 922 r compliant gun with a USA magazine, to a foriegn sporting weapon with the factory 5 installed.

Agreed. I should have explained more accurately. Thanks for cleaning it up.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...