New First Time Saiga Owner

Bought my first Saiga, a 308 IZ 139, here in California. Take delivery next Tuesday the 24th. WOO HOO!! It's the biggest caliber rifle I've owned, my next largest is a 223 Mini 14.

Really excited to get this rifle and go shooting in the desert near my house. Going to be super fun.

No money for a conversion right now but would like to do a couple upgrades to improve my shooting experience. . Whats a good quality mag to go with? The rifle comes with an 8 round detachable mag.

Also want to go with a red dot sight. What brand and model will stand up to the pounding of the 308 round and will the scope mount that comes with the rifle be sufficient. Can't spend a ton of cash on the optics but dont want to waste money on crap either.

All advice for a saiga noob welcomed.

Glenn L

Edited by Glenn L

Well welcome, you picked a good one. Cssspecs and Unita mags are what I have. I do not know if they will ship them in kits though. They are both business members here and you can Pm them that question.

You'll need to get a side mount for the red dot. The scope i have on mine is a Millet BK81002, You can use it as a red dot or scope out to 500 yds.

The side mount you'll want to do a little research on. Cheaper ones will work, but will not hold zero. There is a section on optics, go there and surf a little. Lots of good choices.

Well welcome, you picked a good one. Cssspecs and Unita mags are what I have. I do not know if they will ship them in kits though. They are both business members here and you can Pm them that question.

I was looking at this yesterday. CSSpecs is now offering to ship as a repair kit, in pieces. SO you can get a 20 rounder in CA and have to manually convert to a 10 round on your own. I have thought about doing this myself, since in MA we cant get Saiga mags over 10 and them 20 rounders just look right in there. http://stores.csspecs.com/-strse-5/saiga-308-metal-magazine/Detail.bok standard 20 rounder with rebuild kit option selectable. Beautiful option I'm glad he has added. I may buy another 2 mags just because of that being available now.