OT: Auto Insurance rates make no sense!

Okay, so the wife has a 2007 Focus sedan that's roughly $100 a month for full coverage.

We are looking at a new (used) car for her.

Found a 2008 Saturn Sky Redline convertible with only 30k miles and it's FUN! Called insurance thinking they were going to rape us.

They only want a dollar more a month...

How does that make any sense?! It's a coupe, turbo, roadster type car. The Focus is a slow boring sedan.

I am excited as hell though!!! Woop!

Wow, that is strange. It looks similar to a Honda S2000 and insurance companies consider the S2000 a sports car and insurance is pretty high for it. I myself would love to get a Mazda RX 7 or a Saturn Sky but the RX 7 is considered a sports car and is too costly to get insured. You sir have picked a very nice car.

Edited by Corruptz0rz

It depends on how long you bad the focus under their insurance. Thier crap changes all the time. So when you get a new quote for the new car everything is re-reveiwed. So...you possibly could have been getting cheaper insurance on the focus.

I have them re-reveiw mine every 6 month term. Thats how I pay 100 bucks a month full coverage on an 04 Volvo S60R. 320hp 6 speed manual and 4 wheel drive. Thats a hell of a sports sedan but my insurance is not too bad.

Well now I know to have them review things at the time of renewal. Thanks for the advice.

The wife is still looking at a Turbo Beetle bad_egg.gif , and a SS HHR. But I am really pushing toward the Sky.

Nothing new. In '71 I was stationed in Key West. One of my Ship Mates wanted to buy a new Vette. Florida had 'no fault' insurance laws that made the cost of insurance higher than his payment! He finally bought a Lotus - the insurance on that was CHEEP - since it had a 6 it was categorized as an "economy car"!

• Like 1

Nothing new. In '71 I was stationed in Key West. One of my Ship Mates wanted to buy a new Vette. Florida had 'no fault' insurance laws that made the cost of insurance higher than his payment! He finally bought a Lotus - the insurance on that was CHEEP - since it had a 6 it was categorized as an "economy car"!

haha.gif