So, I was thinking about picking up a rifle vise in preparation for my ak conversion (and also to have for future mods and maintenance). Are there particular brands to stay away from? Is there a particular vise that you all would recommend? Where would one go to purchase one? I have seen them on amazon.com but I wasnt quite sure the ones they have on there would work with my saiga (I read through a few of the reviews on some of them and apparently certain rifles wont fit on certain vises). Additionally, like I said, I would like to get something that would work well for multiple applications, not just rifles, but hand guns as well.

Thanks for any insight yall can provide!

Edited by brandon402

Brandon: Save your money. Do you think the proverbial 8 year olds in caves building Kalashnikovs have a vise?

For most of my work, I either just DID it, or had the hubby hold the rifle still. Get your wife involved- make herself useful!!! :D

A regular old shop vise with a few towels or something soft won't mar the "finish" (paint) on your fine Russian piece of engineering.

We don't need to put on airs... Fancy gun vises, sleds, all that stuff- that's AR forum language you're talking.

• Like 2

This may help if you have a standard vise in your shop. Not very expensive and Lowe's and Amazon have them on their websites:

post-13534-0-89909700-1335277870_thumb.jpg

http://www.amazon.co...rd_i=B001C1DBVG

Good luck,

I have a pair of these that I use on my bolted down work bench vise. They work great! On ocassion when they're a little too 'mushy' or soft for the task at hand, I use thick leather scraps within the vise's jaws that I'll masking tape in place if needed.

LoL, thanks yall, and an extra LOL for bohound... Guess I was getting a touch too fancy for our roughneck weapons. Just more evidence of how OCDish I get when trying to do anything, haha. And yes, I plan on getting the wifey involved in this stuff too eventually. Anyway, I dont have my own vise, so I was thinking I may go with this one:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_SPM2675905002P?prdNo=3&blockNo=3&blockType=G3

Its got removable jaw pads. Do yall think this vise would work?

. . . I dont have my own vise, so I was thinking I may go with this one:

http://www.sears.com...=3&blockType=G3

Hmmm. . . the price is terrific of course, but it is made from cast aluminum. I guess it would depend on whether you intend to use this vise for other projects down the road, other than your AK conversion. The product has no customer reviews listed, so it's rather difficult to assess the product.

Me personally, I wouldn't go with cast aluminum. . . yet clearly you're going to pay 2X+ more for a steel vise. Like I said, I think it depends on whether you believe you'll use it only for this one project.

I didnt think about that.... However, I also dont see myself needing a steel one either. I suppose with a steel one Id be "future-proofing" any projects down the road. But, lol, I really cant think of anything that I'd need a steel one for either.

LoL, thanks yall, and an extra LOL for bohound... Guess I was getting a touch too fancy for our roughneck weapons. Just more evidence of how OCDish I get when trying to do anything, haha. And yes, I plan on getting the wifey involved in this stuff too eventually. Anyway, I dont have my own vise, so I was thinking I may go with this one:

I have a 20+ year old Sears steel vise made in the USA and a #75 from American Scale Company - a brute. I would suggest looking around for an old American made vise. It will be worth it weight in gold. I would be afraid a commie vise would crack and drop my gun. King daddy if money is no object:

http://www.wiltontoo...6&category=7215

Good luck,

Yakdung

• Like 1

I think this vise is actually smaller than it looks it the photo. I have one similar with the ball joint, etc. These are "hobby" vises that are made for lighter weight and smaller items than a rifle. It will be wobbly and unstable and you will be severely limited where you can grasp the gun due to the shallow depth of the jaws. I would at least go with a full size vice that is securely bolted to the bench, or better yet a real gun vice. Craigslist Rules!

I believe it said it opens to 8" wide, so I figured that would be enough. Maybe I'll just go poke around at Sears or Lowes and see what they have. I have to buy a few other tools for this conversion anyway.

I think that's a 2 7/8" opening.

Whelp, picked up a 6" bessey vise, tap handle, set of punches, some oil for the tap, and a nice 32 piece set of files. Also picked up a set of those nylon inserts for the vise too. Time to order my kit.... smile.png

Bessey makes a good product. I need to purchase several of their 90 degree welding clamps.

holy shit.... just finished my conversion. The conversion itself.... easy as pie. The god damn bullet guide..... that thing can kiss my ass. All done though, took a long ass time because of that stupid bullet guide though.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Most of my stuff is from Harbor Freight, some of it I've had since I had my autobody shop 15 years ago, my vise is one of those ancient purchases. I have the yellow padded jaws in the previous posts but picked mine up at Lowes for about the same price.

• 4 weeks later...

If I had a proper shop with a heavy table to permanently mount a "real" vise I'd get one that would hold up to beating on etc. but, I don't. I just needed something to hold things in a certain position without having a lot of pressure put on them, an extra set of hands so to speak. So I got this boy from WidgetSupply;

TZ3060.jpg

For $12 it's worth the money. It seems to be well made and Sears sells what appears to be the same thing for like $25. I got this at http://www.widgetsup...supply.com/ If you work with a Dremel much this place has all sorts of supplies and accessories cheaper than anywhere else I've found.

Yeah, it's not a honkin big 50lb vise but it works for me and it will hold a rifle in place for trigger replacements etc.