Warsaw or NATO length buttstock ??

Folks:

I'll be ordering all my parts soon for the Saiga conversion to an AK-74 style gun. My question today is to get advice on the 2 buttstock lengths offered. I know the Warsaw buttstock is about 1.25" shorter than the NATO. Here is some data to consider as we ponder the answer:

-I am about 5'-8" in height and weigh abput 150 lbs. I wear a 32"- length shirt sleeve ( 15 1/2 x 32/33 shirt).

- The Saiga...as delivered with sporter stock.... has a length-of-pull ( measured from the trigger to the middle of the buttplate), of about 13 1/2" to 13 3/4", depending upon how you measure. This is pretty common for sporter-stock rifles.

- I've done a lot of pistol shooting in my past but not much with rifles. Shouldering the Saiga "seems" that the length of pull is a bit on the long side...but I have no real reference point to judge.

- Anyone know what the resulting length-of-pull is with a Warsaw or NATO buttstock?,.... on a converted gun where the FCG is moved back up ( forward) where it was intended to be in the first place,next to the mag?

- I will likely end-up with a red-dot or iron sights...so I don't think "close" eye relief will be a problem.

- For pistols, I usually fire ( right-handed) with a modified Weaver stance, two-handed, with a sharp angle on the right elbow, both feet about 45 degrees "off" of target perpendicular,right leg toward the rear. This brings the pistol a bit "up-close" and I like it this way.

So far,....I'm leaning toward Warsaw length, but willing to hear points-of-view.

Any advice/comments ????

Edited by IPSC45

I always go for the warsaw. I am small in size but, that is not the main reason. You want the gun close to your body for maximum control. Unless you have very long arms the warsaw stock would be a natural choice. The smaller stock also allows for more maneuverability when wearing heavier clothing in winter.

I may be too picky but am most comfortable with a stock between the two lengths. About 3/4" longer than Warsaw, 1/2" shorter than NATO. I'm thinking the Warsaw would be ideal for you.

I may be too picky but am most comfortable with a stock between the two lengths. About 3/4" longer than Warsaw, 1/2" shorter than NATO. I'm thinking the Warsaw would be ideal for you.

WARSAW with pad is somewhat in between the two.

3stocks.jpg

• Like 1

I really wish Arsenal made an intermediate length stock. I think that there are a LOT of US shooters who'd appreciate an extra 3/4" or so but really don't need an extra 1.25". You know, those of us right around 6' or a couple less who have a natural LOP of about 13 or 13.25.

Edited by talaananthes

WARSAW with pad is somewhat in between the two.

3stocks.jpg

Thanks for the info and pictures.

I have the UTG pad (center photo) on a Tapco Warsaw stock on my S12. It adds right at one inch and that's a smidgen long but is acceptable. I've thought about removing the steel Tapco plate to see if that would make it perfect. I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

I have a custom purpleheart stock on my 223. I had it made 3/4" longer than Warsaw, 1/2" shorter than NATO and it fits me perfectly.

On the 308 I use a CAA adjustable setup http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-1484/SAIGA-AK47-TACITCAL-COLLAPSIBLE/Detail that doesn't require cutting the tang off. Very happy with it since you can adjust for different thickness of clothing. One thing they don't tell you is that you can't go to position 1 or 2 due to the stock hitting the tang. I cut out about a quarter of an inch circle on the top front of the stock and it will now click into position 2. I suppose you could really get radical and cut the channel long enough to fit on 1 too but that might weaken the stock. Good enough as is. One other thing I liked about the stock was it is indeed fiber filled composite which adds strength. I could see the fibers when trimming it back.

Tim