Busting the non-sporting myth

Love my Saiga!!! Dispatched one chicken with only one shot. Thanks to all for helping me with the sighting-in process. No recoil; using Fiochi 2-3/4 inch heavy field loads with #8 shot. My arms like the light weight of the weapon also. Much lighter than the ole Mossy. Walked for 3 hours in the hills and my back feels good.

We have only 29 more days of chicken season, then a rest until pheasent and quail. I can hardly wait. :devil:

Chicken gravy on biscuits tommorrow night!!!! :super:

A prairie chicken is a med-size bird (about 2 llbs live weight) native to the high plains. They are relatives of the grouse. They are two sub-species; the Greater found in the eastern two- thirds of the state going north through all of Nebraska and the lesser which is only found in the extreme five southwestern counties in Kansas ( increasingly rare due to habitat destruction.)

Unlike pheasent they like to live in grass only and do not fare well in cultivated areas. They live in small family groups in spring and summer; then herd together in larger and larger flocks as the cold decends.

The traditionl method of the hunt is pass shooting in the early morning and late,late evening during the winter. However in Kansas and Nebraska we have 'walk-up' seasons in which yoiu can hunt the greater chickens like pheasent or quail. ( A good dog is a great asset.) They seem to posses the hearing and eyesight of deer so one must walk the side of the hills and be careful not to expose oneself on the ridges or you will be busted.

I think they are relatives of the ptarmigan.

(Tried to insert a photo but my computer illertercy prevented this. Will ask the kids to help me tonight.) :rolleyes:

Thanks for posting the pics and yessir they are tasty!!! All dark meat make a great gravy.

Bvamp they do go poof (unless you head shoot 'em). :lolol::lolol::lolol:

Limit two a day(Greater chickens-lesser are one a day and they are a smaller bird as their name implies). Going for more this p.m.

:devil: