Saiga 12 Barrel Question

I purchased a RWC 24" Saiga 12 in hopes of being able to shorten the barrel (I have a local guy who could shorten it). Will I be able to shorten the barrel to around 18" without having to modify the gas system as well? I am not sure if there are more/less ports drilled for a 24" barrel VS a standard 19" barrel model. Does anyone have experience with this?

Thanks!

I haven't seen anything about longer barrels having a different gas system from the shorter barrels. It would be the same ammo and the same pressure going through the gas system, so I can't see why having an additional 5" of barrel would change anything. Cut away!

It depends really. From what i have read, alot of the 22-24" guns had 2 gas ports. Shortening the barrel may or may not require work, that is something you will have to sort out with your Saiga. As always, it is hit and miss on whether it will have 2 or 3 gas ports and whether they are uniform and obstructed or not. The majority of S12's are different from the one that came off the assembly line before or after it.

A longer barrel with smallerand or less gas ports has more time to allow filling/pressurizing of the gas block and cycling the action before the projectile leaves the muzzle. The opposite is true for shorter barrels.

Edited by Mullet Man
  • Like 1

Also, the 24" guns are a bit more rare, meaning in a few years they'll be worth more to "collectors".... You'd probably end up working on the gas system anyway though. On a side-note, we try to keep the information and advice here as true as possible, have I given bad info? Yeah, and it ended up ruining a part that someone else had to pay for, so if you don't KNOW, please chill out until someone who does pops in and helps out. Who knows? You might learn something yourself...

Thank you everyone for your advice. I think I am going to gamble to have it cut down. I have a friend who is a gun smith but does not live close. If I run in to problems hopefully he will be able to give some advice. I guess I will just have to see how it goes. I am going to install a low brass reliability kit hopefully that might give me some more options.