Midwest Ordnance "forward protrusion" Patent

Hello! I'm been a member here for quite some time. Still haven't decided which Saiga to choose and sadly I think I'm gonna ask a question.

But out of curiousity, I'm wondering if anyone can tell me the patent status and number of the Midwest Ordnance's "forward protrusion" which for those

that don't know, practically it's a sks to ak mag conversion for the sks. Is the patent still for Midwest Ordnance? Just wondering because I heard something

about that.

I actually have one of their converted SKS rifles, they are in the suburban Detroit area and I see them at local gun shows. What did you hear?

I heard something somewhere that they sold the patent to Norinco. But I'm still wondering if I can look at this patent. So I can see the conversion process (which probably

is gonna be pretty hard to do). But if you ask what's the patent number for the conversion.

Well you have to mill the bolt and the receiver for starters and I would be careful about modifying a rifle in such a manor. The alphabet police told Midwest to stop their conversions, seems they didn't like it too much. I would suggest buying a Norinco or a Midwest conversion if you can find one, I just don't think it is worth the time/risk of doing it yourself. Even if it is perfectly legal to modify the gun in such a manor, there is still risk that you end up damaging it.

Shotgun news ran a four article series showing how the process is done, I'll get with my buddy who has one of the articles and see when it ran...

I'm aware of that, I have the little booklet that they talk about. If you can get me the article with pictures possibly, that would be outstanding!

Well you have to mill the bolt and the receiver for starters and I would be careful about modifying a rifle in such a manor. The alphabet police told Midwest to stop their conversions, seems they didn't like it too much. I would suggest buying a Norinco or a Midwest conversion if you can find one, I just don't think it is worth the time/risk of doing it yourself. Even if it is perfectly legal to modify the gun in such a manor, there is still risk that you end up damaging it.

True, I remember reading the ATF told them to stop, and also the guy who did the conversions died. But I'm searching for the patent that they used for this modification. I've been checking the US Patent Office for the modification "Forward Protrusion" with little success. I would like to read the patent so I could see EXACTLY how Midwest Ordnance and Norinco did these conversions. I do know that it would be difficult to reproduce this conversion and possibly I could lose an $250 rifle. But I won't try this until I'm content with my skills. If you could ask them at the next gun show about the patent, or if you could tell me what patent it says on your Midwest Ordnance SKS conversion that too would be outstanding. I would be grateful. Or if you have a number I could possibly call, that would be good too.

Edited by Armed Hunter

Shotgun news ran a four article series showing how the process is done, I'll get with my buddy who has one of the articles and see when it ran...

I'm aware of that, I have the little booklet that they talk about. If you can get me the article with pictures possibly, that would be outstanding!

True, I remember reading the ATF told them to stop, and also the guy who did the conversions died. But I'm searching for the patent that they used for this modification. I've been checking the US Patent Office for the modification "Forward Protrusion" with little success. I would like to read the patent so I could see EXACTLY how Midwest Ordnance and Norinco did these conversions. I do know that it would be difficult to reproduce this conversion and possibly I could lose an $250 rifle. But I won't try this until I'm content with my skills. If you could ask them at the next gun show about the patent, or if you could tell me what patent it says on your Midwest Ordnance SKS conversion that too would be outstanding. I would be grateful. Or if you have a number I could possibly call, that would be good too.

Here is a link with their contact info, not sure if it is current, http://www.midwestordnance.com/Home_Page.html

Unfortunately, my gun says patent pending so I can't help you there.

There were a couple of members on the SKS Forums who did the conversion, and it's not for someone without the proper equipment. The one that was successful had access to CNC equipment and a full machine shop, while the other tried the "Bubba method"(after we told him NOT to chop up a perfectly good and intact Navy Arms rifle). Bubba turned his rifle into a good wall hanger.

For those new to SKS rifles, this was the Navy Arms Paratrooper:

p20200073gu.jpg

One with everything still there including the carry case for the scope can net upwards of $700.