Craving an RPK....BAD!!!

Ive been wanting an RPK for a while now, but lately the bug has bit me pretty hard. Id like a nice kit to build. (Russian, Romanian or Bulgarian) Im not big on the Yugo's and $2295 is a bit hard to swallow for a new Arsenal. I know they are expensive and i dont expect to get it free, but I need some suggestions on the cheapest way to get into one. I dont mind building and or modding to get what I want. I thought about the Vepr 7.62x39 but the slant cut receiver kills it for me as far as putting a tradition "boat paddle" RPK stock, and I wouldn't have the heart to demill a brand new Vepr unless I absolutely had too. Are there any other alternatives...

thanX-

-RR

Jeez man have you looked at the AES-10B thread?

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/75593-aes-10bs-anyone/

Get one now.. They are bar-none the most underrated deal in the AK market right now, even though they cost a bit more than they used to. Genuine semi-auto RPK for $550-600? A few years from now you'll wonder how they ever sold for these prices.

I used to have the 10B. Wasnt a bad tifle but nothing spectacular. My had funky sights. From a 100a yards if i aimed at the bottom right of the target (hip area) i would put the round right between the eyes!

Why don't you like Yugos?

Ive never liked ANY of the yugo AK's. nothing against them as far as quality or anything, but something about the whole unchromed barrel just kinda stears me away from then. Dont get me wrong, i clean my guns all the time, but I want all the protection from corrosion i can get!

On a second not reguarding the Yugo "RPK". I like the Russian/Romanian/Bulgarian stocks better. I dont think the Yugo one would be anygood for prone shooting.

reguarding the M92 Yugo "Krink"... an underfolder?!? are you serious!!! the Triangle/Skeleton stock looks WAY better on the krink!

The no chrome is a bummer, but that's the Yugo models for you.....they were the black sheep of the Eastern Bloc types and had no chrome of their own, so neither the Sovs nor the west would give them any....

...but the guns they made are generally much beefier, steel-wise than the other comm-bloc models....

My Yugo SKS is a freakin monster!!!!!

...other hand, no chrome means a lot more patches to clean the barrel....but that's what bore-snake is for, right?

Yugoslavia had extensive chromium deposits for as long as it was a state; a lot of it was in Kosovo. For some reason, the Yugoslavian army never wanted chromed barrels, and to this day the Serbian army continues specifying non-chromed barrels for their contracts with Zastava. I don't get it, but they must have their reasons. Zastava offers chrome-lined barrels as an option on all of their current rifles.

I don't like Yugo RPKs myself just because they are pretty unlike any other RPK variant. They just look like a standard Yugo AK, but with heavy finned barrel and bipod. To me they don't have the "mean" RPK look.

I also loved my Yugo SKS when I first bought it. Well-made, heavy duty as all hell compared to other SKSes, and... Little to no rifling at all. Oh well, it was the first centerfire rifle I ever bought. I never thought to look down the barrel.

Edited by mancat

Thanks for answering Rough Rider. Yeah it shocks me when I hear people say they don't like the Yugos, but if we all liked the same stuff there would only be one of each product out there. As far as the barrels being non chrome lined, if you do enough shooting to wear out a barrel, that may be a concern. In theory the barrels are more accurate without chrome lining. I shoot the hell out of surplus Yugo corrosive ammo, and clean thoroughtly when I'm done. Never had any issues.