Pop rivets to fill left over trigger pin holes?

Hi! I've researched all the hole-filling options (most seem to use the supplied plugs that come with conversion kits), but have not seen one option mentioned that I'm considering using: pop rivets.

I was thinking of using pop rivets to fill those 4 holes left over, as they would be lower profile on the inside and almost flush on the outside (as well as be more secure than plugs). Then paint them with Rustoleum textured flat black (used this on the bottom of the receiver and it looks fantastic). Does anyone foresee any problems with using this method?

Pop rivets will have the stem slightly protruding after installation, and a small circular indentation in the rivet. Either use real rivets or plastic to fill the holes. You can try the pop rivets, as they are easy to drill out if you don't like the look.

Pop rivets will have the stem slightly protruding after installation, and a small circular indentation in the rivet. Either use real rivets or plastic to fill the holes. You can try the pop rivets, as they are easy to drill out if you don't like the look.

Like these?

http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-149/Saiga-FCG-hole-plugs/Detail

I haven't noticed these before:

http://store.carolin...le-plugs/Detail

Are these metal?

Thats a good question, I just saw them earlier

Plastic, but they look great. I have access to tens of thousands of aluminum rivets and choose to use the plastic ones. A small dab of super glue and they are good to go.

These:

008236716658sm.jpg QuickView

Compare

Compare

The Hillman Group 2-Pack Hole Plugs

Not Yet Rated Be the first to Write a Review

Price $1.04

Qty.: Add to Cart The Hillman Group 2-Pack Hole Plugs

• Item #: 139446
  • Model #: 881274

• Hole Plugs - Black 3/16
  • 2pc/bag
  • Black

3/16" nylon hole plugs. they look like rivets when installed. These "snap" in.

They have these in the store in the fasteners section bins. Look for nylon hole plugs.

Edited by canoecanoe

anybody know the correct size of a real metal rivet that would fit/look good?

Let me look in the rivet vidmar tomorrow and I'll get you the correct size. The one problem with real rivets is getting the paint to adhere to them . Plastic is much easier.

Yep JB Weld works great as a filler for the holes if you have no access to a welder. Put some scotch tape inside the receiver holes, fill them up on the outside, sand flush when it's cured after a day, and touch up with paint.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...