Barrel Heating?

outside of full auto you are not going to get it hot enough to hurt it. You will get tired and give up before the barrel does.

Thanks that was the answer I was hoping for! Just one more saiga confidence builder.

I guess I should have asked has anybody ever had any issues with barrel overheating and under what condition?

[media=]

[/media]

I've done 300 in under 9 minutes (had to use unfitted 5 round mags for the last 100 rounds or it would have been much quicker)

I've melted some handguards.... but that barrel is fine. Trunnion expansion affecting the tolerances in lockup and causing failures starts to become a factor after around 200 rounds as fast as you can fire and change mags. Basically, this happens under raising hell conditions.... which I do fairly often. I have gotten the barrel so hot that it melts the shot cups on their way out. I go there. It is all about finding the limitations of the platform, if any.

Edited by evlblkwpnz
  • Like 3

[media=]

[/media]

I've done 300 in under 9 minutes (had to use unfitted 5 round mags for the last 100 rounds or it would have been much quicker)

I've melted some handguards.... but that barrel is fine. Trunnion expansion affecting the tolerances in lockup and causing failures starts to become a factor after around 200 rounds as fast as you can fire and change mags. Basically, this happens under raising hell conditions.... which I do fairly often. I have gotten the barrel so hot that it melts the shot cups on their way out. I go there. It is all about finding the limitations of the platform, if any.

well thats probably the most definitive answer in existence. I remember seeing your video awhile ago. You and a few others were pretty much the inspiration for my question. I guess we can consider this thread complete! LOL
  • Like 1

After seeing the evil vid I was hooked on the S12.

There is just nothing that compares to the Saiga 12. I like when people tell me "An AA12 would be badass, huh?" (as if it is better than a Saiga 12). Then they tell me how badass their buddy's Saiga 12 is that has the quad rail, the light, and the laser. I usually just smile (I know they are clueless as to what is about to happen). Then I proceed to show them how much faster I can fire a Saiga 12 that an AA is capable of firing in full auto. The AA12 doesn't seem so badass then wink.png .... and fuck your buddy's quadrail.... and his cheap ass laser 021.gif

I was inspired to take it where I have from seeing Lonestar's videos. I did these few videos just to show people that these things can be very reliable.... and fun. What else will throw down that much lead that quick? Nothing that I am aware of.

Edited by evlblkwpnz

The real question is at what point will an unfired shell melt to the chamber walls upon chambering? That will happen WAY before you overheat the barrel or reach cookoff temperature, and I'm pretty sure it will prevent the weapon from functioning.

The real question is at what point will an unfired shell melt to the chamber walls upon chambering? That will happen WAY before you overheat the barrel or reach cookoff temperature, and I'm pretty sure it will prevent the weapon from functioning.

Interesting question. I need more drums so I can get out there to 350-400 rounds quicker, then leave one chambered without firing it.

Found this on "thehighroad" forum form May 20, 2007

"In his book "Gunshot Wounds" Vincent Di Maio describes various experiments where ammunition was heated in ovens. He says that .22 long rifle cartridges detonate at an average of 275F, .38 Special at 290F and 12 gauge shotgun shells at 387F. The interesting thing about these furnace experiments was that in all instances the cartridge cases ruptured, but the primers did not

detonate. In fact the primers were removed from some of the ruptured cases, reloaded into other brass and fired."

I am still looking for the temperature a shot shell will melt.

I think at 387F you are burning your hand on the something.

• Like 1