Sighting in the new Grendel was started and or done really with a couple of things noted: 1st I had taken this scope and mount off the old .223 Bushmaster and it wasn’t even in the ballpark starting on the Grendel way low and right. Shots fired adjustments made till Wolf 120s about ½” high at 25 yards and Hornady 123s just above them. This rifle really may need / deserve better glass and a better trigger the ones on it now aren’t bad but this thing seems like it will deliver some exceptionally fine accuracy. My 1st and only AR build is a working rifle now.

New 1-4 Bushnell scope and mount on the Bushmaster worked out to about the same impact zone with Wolf 55 gr steel case stuff. This is still a fine shooting rifle too.

Daughter in law started shooting the Glock 19 she may use as a concealed carry gun. Not too bad needs a little more range time to get comfortable with not just this pistol but guns in general, but that’s normal for some or most people who haven’t spent that much time shooting. Need a 22 pistol for her to wear out to get into it without some of the bang and recoil.

Prize for the day goes to the granddaughter for shooting the full sized open sighted CZ 22 rifle and blowing a hole in the center of the target. For someone who hadn’t shot much at all with a rifle that was way too long for her she overcame the poor fit of the stock and truly hammered the target. Have to look at getting something that fits her now and will adjust out with her as she grows. Price wise a Ruger 10/22 with a pink Tapco adjustable stock seems about right: http://www.tapco.com/products/new/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=262

Some other stuff was drug out ant banged too like the 1911 got blazed away with and other Glocks got some bang time in.

So I’m getting older but hopefully the next generations will continue to support the shooting traditions and sports.

Wonder if I can find a 410 with an adjustable stock so she can start working on clays now too?

Edited by 20-Mags
  • Like 1

Sighting in the new Grendel was started and or done really with a couple of things noted: 1st I had taken this scope and mount off the old .223 Bushmaster and it wasn’t even in the ballpark starting on the Grendel way low and right. Shots fired adjustments made till Wolf 120s about ½” high at 25 yards and Hornady 123s just above them. This rifle really may need / deserve better glass and a better trigger the ones on it now aren’t bad but this thing seems like it will deliver some exceptionally fine accuracy. My 1st and only AR build is a working rifle now.

New 1-4 Bushnell scope and mount on the Bushmaster worked out to about the same impact zone with Wolf 55 gr steel case stuff. This is still a fine shooting rifle too.

Daughter in law started shooting the Glock 19 she may use as a concealed carry gun. Not too bad needs a little more range time to get comfortable with not just this pistol but guns in general, but that’s normal for some or most people who haven’t spent that much time shooting. Need a 22 pistol for her to wear out to get into it without some of the bang and recoil.

Prize for the day goes to the granddaughter for shooting the full sized open sighted CZ 22 rifle and blowing a hole in the center of the target. For someone who hadn’t shot much at all with a rifle that was way too long for her she overcame the poor fit of the stock and truly hammered the target. Have to look at getting something that fits her now and will adjust out with her as she grows. Price wise a Ruger 10/22 with a pink Tapco adjustable stock seems about right: http://www.tapco.com/products/new/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=262

Some other stuff was drug out ant banged too like the 1911 got blazed away with and other Glocks got some bang time in.

So I’m getting older but hopefully the next generations will continue to support the shooting traditions and sports.

Wonder if I can find a 410 with an adjustable stock so she can start working on clays now too?

Rossi has a kids 22 rifle that also comes with a 410 barrel .... they are only single shot guns but they do come with Fiber optic sights and my 8 and 7 year olds love them and shoot quite often. Sounds like it was a great day of family bonding Congrats on keeping the family close and having fun together.

I looked into the alternate calibers and even gun platforms and decided the 6.5 Grendel was what I wanted to go with for a number of reasons.

1st a disclaimer while I could get called bad names by some fellow Grendel people to some degree it is over hyped in as much that some of the velocities that are often quoted for the bullets are only obtainable with a long barreled bolt gun. Even knowing this I still went with the Grendel because it still offered the best overall performance that met all my current and foreseeable needs.

One thing was I wanted to do it myself on an AR build as part of my “bucket list” (I’ve done a number of 1911s over the years) and for what little extra the barrel and bolt cost compared to a 5.56 you get a gun with greater range and hunting knock down.

While my rifle doesn’t like the lot I have for cycling at this point Wolf is making ammo for the Grendel at a pretty reasonable price and is suppose to be coming out with steel cased loads at an even better cost. This couple with the other commercial loads from Hornady and others means it’s not hard to find ammo, plus 7.62X39 brass can be used to reload. Should say that the rifle shoots the Wolf ammo fine for accuracy but likes the Hornady better for reliable cycling. I think the brass is harder on the Hornady than the Wolf on this lot anyway.

When I started this project I had two 5.56 ARs already (sold one) and didn’t see the need for a 3rd gun in the same caliber. While I have all the faith in the world in my Bushmaster 20” gun for reliability and accuracy I just wanted more for my son to hunt with.

So it’s a dad thing and it ties in with the family thing where we’re shooting dad’s gun not some manufactures’ gun.