Getting the .308

i am getting the .308 in what i think is 21" inch barrel? this is for my father, i originally was going to get him a FAL, but the price is just too high for a college student, the rifle cost $600, the most i am looking to put into it is 200-300, the looks of the rifle will probably make him sick, (just the way he is) so i am going to have to change the way it looks which is my first question, what are my options (looking towards more of ? secondly, i am going to have to modify the magazine options (which i heard is possible to take m1a or m14 mags?), thirdly, i always change the trigger for every rifle i purchase usually, again options? last, i will need something to reduce the recoil (he is getting old) some recoil buffer system might help?

for those who don't like reading paragraphs

buying saiga

• need to modify magazine well for m14 or m1a mags
  • need a trigger job
  • need to change the stock of the rifle, add some furniture possibly
  • recoil buffer system?

cheapness is a benefit!

Edited by zombiemilitia

To control recoil, put a brake on it, I use a "Big Chubby", it works well.

Trigger, I used a Saiga 12 OEM that I did a mod to and it works great, bit of a long pull for some.

Stock, there are MANY to chose from and I do mean many!

Mag well, I have no idear.

O yea, I dont think you are gona keep it under you price.

Edited by RED333

Conversion is easy; getting the rifle to accept cheap magazines is hard. I think Magnolia State Armory was, a while ago, working on an adapter allowing the .308 to use AR-10 mags, but I don't know if that's still in the works.

The .308 Saiga has a fairly unique recoil spring assembly. When I used a rubber buffer instead of the mechanical one on the factory assembly, the bolt carrier would occasionally stick rearward, depending on the temperature. Best bet for recoil mitigation is either a muzzle brake or recoil-reducing stock.

I just ordered parts to convert mine. Bulgarian trigger $8 Kvar stock $54. Unitas magazine 3 pack $89. Retaining hook $6. Pistol grip screw $10.

There ya go OP, under you cost and still have enough for a brake.

Do the conversion to move the pistol grip to original location, when you do that get the tapco g2 trigger group, keep the original hammer with tapco trigger hook and disconnector. You can do unlimited styles of butstocks, all ak styles fit. The mags are expensive but csspecs makes good 20 rd ones that work good.

Do the conversion to move the pistol grip to original location, when you do that get the tapco g2 trigger group, keep the original hammer with tapco trigger hook and disconnector. You can do unlimited styles of butstocks, all ak styles fit. The mags are expensive but csspecs makes good 20 rd ones that work good.

coming from a mini 14 owner...no mag is too expensive smile.png..but thanks for the info

so any AK style stock etc will work, sounds great! i thought only saiga .308 style would work

Edited by zombiemilitia

i work 14 hours a day my time is limited smile.png but thanks

I dont work 14 but do put in a 10 or 12 hours, I hear ya.

I cast and reload 12ga, 40S&W, and 44-40 some, keep the OL happy(THAT IS A 24 HR DAY)nothing.gif

Got 2 kids, watch 3 to 4 forums, chores and still have time to sleep.

Dont get in a hurry, take your time, get it like you want it.

Then you will make a change to it, I have had 3 diff stocks and 3 diff handguards on mine as well as 3 diff scopes,

all to get it how I want it, and now it is mine. After all that I am looking to change the stock again, O well

that is the way it goes.haha.gif