Trigger pull

Hi

I have never seen what you are talking about in a saiga. The trigger pivot in directly above the trigger.

I have seen Norinco AK rifles that have been made "american hunter style" with the striaght grip. Instead of moving the trigger back like on the saiga, they put a looooong trigger on that makes it so that the trigger pull is back from the trigger pivot point. this would make the trigger pull up and back. Very weird feel.

Edited by thinking

The trigger on the Saiga 7.62x39's are either a cast or forged solid piece and on the 308 stamped sheet metal. There is a difference in the trigger pull but not too much so that you can't get used to it. Only trouble with the 308 is that when you wear gloves, at the end of the trigger pull the bottom of the trigger is so close to the trigger guard that a part of your glove covering your trigger finger may become caught between the trigger and the guard. Very distracting. Not so on the 7.62X39. Difficult to figure why the difference in design as you would think the two ought to be the same. Two different engineering groups?????

• 4 weeks later...

I have a Saiga 308 with 16" barrel. It's accurate, but I have trouble being as accurate as the gun can be because of the trigger. It's got to have one of the worst trigger feels ever. I don't mind pulling up instead of back, the problem is I never know when it's going to break (and it's heavy). I'd rather not move the trigger back, add a pistol grip, and change to a normal AK set up. I just want it to have a decent trigger pull. Is this possible or do you have to convert back to the AK trigger to improve feel?

TIA

Allan Schisel

• 3 years later...

The trigger is a little on the heavy side. I can still hit the eye at two hundred. Got the twenty rd. clip too. This is not a rapid fire weapon though, especially without a muzzle brake! I am not worried about the trigger pull cause I'm not picky. Maybe a heavy trigger means it will last longer! If it ain't broke ya know. Just my meager two bits.

It's got to have one of the worst trigger feels ever. I don't mind pulling up instead of back, the problem is I never know when it's going to break (and it's heavy). <snip> I just want it to have a decent trigger pull. Is this possible or do you have to convert back to the AK trigger to improve feel?

Allan,

You can't get a sweeter, more consistant trigger pull than from the Red Star Arms VPER trigger that you can put into a .308 Saiga after you've done the pistol grip conversion. Of course, you pay big bucks for a trigger this nice (around $90).

I agree that the stock factory trigger in the .308 Saiga is pretty bad. To improve this trigger will require some amateur gunsmithing in the form of stoning the engagement surfaces of the trigger group. Keep in mind that if you make a mistake, you'll need a new trigger group (which I'd be pleased to sell to you since I went the pistol grip conversion route). The concept with stoning the engagement surfaces is to keep all the angles the same while smoothing the surfaces themselves. Brownells sells lots of different stones and it's possible that you'll pay as much as $60 for a couple of good ones to do your home gunsmithing.

I just received my NIB, RAA Saiga 308 woody long barrel and must say that the trigger pull is very light and breaks without any excessive pulling/squeezing.It is very nice and almost a hair trigger. The only other rifle I ever owned that had a similar light trigger pull, was a Belgium made Browning BAR 270. In fact, the very first time I shot the Saiga 308,the gun fired so soon,after barely squeezing it off, that I thought it was a hair trigger. As a result,my confidence, comfort and accuracy with the gun isreally in place.