Factory BHO Non-Functional

Not a huge deal as I probably will lose the feature anyway but am still curious if any others have had this issue. Basically, the BHO catches the bolt too late & partially covers the mag well opening. The bolt sets too far forward to engage & chamber the 1st round. Also does it on my cousin's wife's .410...weird. Just wondering if any others have run into this? Mine appears to be one of the versions that has all the military features(threaded barrel, dimpled receiver, non-stepped chamber, barrel notched for L.H.G. retainer, etc.) May this be related? Thanks for any info.

Edited by Fortis

Not a huge deal as I probably will lose the feature anyway but am still curious if any others have had this issue. Basically, the BHO catches the bolt too late & partially covers the mag well opening. The bolt sets too far forward to engage & chamber the 1st round. Also does it on my cousin's wife's .410...weird. Just wondering if any others have run into this? Mine appears to be one of the versions that has all the military features(threaded barrel, dimpled receiver, non-stepped chamber, barrel notched for L.H.G. retainer, etc.) May this be related? Thanks for any info.

Yes.. it's useless. It's not a REAL "bolt hold open". It's Saiga's version of a "open chamber viewing port". It serves ZERO of the advantages of a real bolt hold open and is just one more thing that doesn't belong in the AK design. Toss it. A true bolt hold open holds the bolt open to CLEAR rounds for mag insertion (Saiga does not), lets a fresh round strip from the mag without bolt dragging (Saiga does not). It is worthless. Toss it. I wonder why on Earth people retain this feature when they do "conversions". It is a negative... not a positive for such. AKM's don't have them. Aresenal's get rid of them. There is a reason for it. It serves no purpose, and it doesn't belong in there. Get rid of it.

86 that BHO. When I converted my Saiga I got rid of the BHO(it is extra peices that are not needed). For range use I simply ground my safety lever, to hold the bolt open manually, to keep the RSO's happy, showing that my rifle is clear and safe!. I see that as a better option.