Now that they are banning imported barrels, Ive been looking into other inexpensive rifles to build. It looks like the G3, CETME and HK91 are all variants of the same .308 rifle and are relatively cheap to build. Have any of you guys built one of these? How tough is it to put together? How does it do at the range? How is its reliability and simplicity compared to the AK?

Thanks!

I LOVE THEM! Never built one, that's not my thing. But I have had a Cetme, got a PTR-91 now, and three HK pistols. If I can find a CLEO to sign, the HK51 will be next. HK rifles are excellent shooters having both accuracy AND reliability. The Century stuff isn't worth it but there are other manufacturers out there.

If you are looking for a superb rifle, I recommend getting one by JLD. I got mine from Atlantic Firearms. All NEW HK parts with a heavy barrel (unlike the real HK91 which has a normal barrel).

gallery_128_24_81232.jpg

Oh man! They look sweet. You need a sbr stamp for the HK51? I looked into the sale price on these variants and oooohh nelly! I think I will stick to building them. I have seen several resorces for parts kits (including heavy barrel) and recievers. I think I could afford to build a nice one. This type of .308 rifle kinda looks like the ones that come in a 9mm or .45 but I guess thats a whole different rifle huh? I think I need to do some more looking around, I like them.

Oh man! They look sweet. You need a sbr stamp for the HK51? .....This type of .308 rifle kinda looks like the ones that come in a 9mm or .45 but I guess thats a whole different rifle huh?

The HK51 was never really manufactured by HK, outside of testing. But people who know what they are doing still convert HK91s to 51s (see pic). There are HK rifles in 9mm and 40 but to my knowledge not too many in 45. HK makes the UMP in that caliber and I think that's it. The USC is the civilian style that's imported into the US which I believe has stopped now, just like the SL8 (.223 rifle).

post-128-1128729202.jpg

I was involved in REBUILDING one...

A aluminum Century gun was rebarrled (along with the trunnion) because the owner wanted a polygonal barrel.

This went well enough, but building off a "kit" with this reciever would involve some drilling (thru -of the trunnion) in order to "pin" them toegether.

This would not be required if a stamped reciever was used (like the original) -as it is spot welded in place (I actually think you epoxy either reciever in place as well).

The HK/Cetme reciever is pretty much a "box" that holds the stock & barrel together...and gives the carrier/bolt something to travel in. The chamber is contained in the trunnion...this makes fit & headspace pretty much a non issue.

I use one and like it well.

26095HK_91_cammo_-5.JPG

Edited by lollygagger

Wow, thats beautiful! Kinda looks like my Sten reciever. I thought I could get the G3/CETME parts kit and new (US made) reciever from F.A.C. And just research the build process like an AK. But they went belly up or something. Sweet looking rifles .....Damn! :unsure:

I like the pistol caliber carbine with extended barrel like the legalized HK models. Anybody know whos got parts kits for them? Its like the new UZI. :lolol: