Legal to convert to pistol?

Can I cut the stock tangs off and weld in a blank plate to the rear of the trunnion rendering the stock uninstallable then shorten the barrel down to 8"? Is it, once a long arm. always a long arm according to the serial number? If it is legal, do I have to file paperwork or just hack and go? If I have to file paperwork I'll just go the SBS route with a folder. Either way, I want to cut it down LEGALLY! Thanks for your help.

I don't exactly know, legally, what you have to do to make it into a pistol, but I do know that hacking the tang off and cutting the barrel, isn't going to cut it. in order to make pistol, the receiver (firearm) has to be a "virgin receiver", meaning it was never assemble as a rifle or shot gun.

forgetting the legal part for a second, my advice just pay the 200 dollar tax and go SBS, you will be much happier going that route then shooting the thing without a stock. I know this for a fact, I folded the stock on my SBS and shot it, and it sucks shooting it that way, it really, really sucks. you can't really stabilize the SG when shooting it, and it will "whip" on you.

Edited by Matthew Hopkins
  • 2 weeks later...

But, if you really want a pistol, look to R&R racing. I'm not sure how they do it legally but they do make a "master key".

1c28bbcd720d673343c6e13a977f1b4c.jpg

that isn't a pistol, that a NFA firearm, in this case it's a Any Other Weapon (AOW) forward grip, no stock and short barrel. now how they were able to make that into a AOW, I'm not 100 percent sure.

my understanding is that in order to make a SG into a AOW it had to come from the factory with a pistol grip already installed. that is why SERBUs AOWs are made from MOSSBERG MAVRICKS.

if they are selling this as a pistol, and not as a NFA firearm on a form 4, I wouldn't be caught dead owning it.

D'oh! I totally missed that, Matthew. It is a AOW.

I know they build some pistols for some secret squirel group. They posted photos of them. I don't know how they got around the "once a long gun always a long gun" thing though.

They built their own receivers. Somebody else had done a "widow maker" saiga 12 AOW. Once you get your receivers stamped out welded and heat treated it's just a matter of building any other kit for the most part. Aside from the troubles of the short gas system but anybody who's a pro at build SBS wouldn't find that too much extra trouble.

They built their own receivers.

take a look at the picture, that isn't a "built their own receiver" that's a SAIGA shotgun receiver. IZSHMASH doesn't export "virgin receivers".

You're correct sir. I didn't look that close, I was going off of what Tom Cole did for his "widow maker" AOW. Perhaps the items in question here are not for civilian sale?

Perhaps the items in question here are not for civilian sale?

at 3 grand that is in the nobody sale. it definitely isn't in the realm of a LE/Gov't price range, no PD would even buy that, not even the Beverly Hills PD, when they can get a full auto Hk MP5 for around 800 bucks.

I know they build some pistols for some secret squirel group.

I don't know how I missed that, but if I had a dime for every "mom and pop" manufacturer that claimed they make guns for some "secret, operative group/agency/squirrel" I would have enough to buy a transferable MG42 and about a ton of ammo to go with that.

just out of curiosity, how do you know? or did you read that somewhere?

Perhaps the items in question here are not for civilian sale?

at 3 grand that is in the nobody sale. it definitely isn't in the realm of a LE/Gov't price range, no PD would even buy that, not even the Beverly Hills PD, when they can get a full auto Hk MP5 for around 800 bucks.

You know I think you just figured it out for me. My understanding of the law that allows the SOT3 dealers/Manufacters is they can develop full auto, DD, and Sbr's etc. For LEO and Military use, mean while posessing DEMO and prototype units. ( now this is speculation on my part) but maybe by placing a pricetag on it keeps it in the DEMO definition. And the crazy pricetag, keeps them from actually selling it? I dunno. Just trying to make some sense of it.

I know they build some pistols for some secret squirel group.

I don't know how I missed that, but if I had a dime for every "mom and pop" manufacturer that claimed they make guns for some "secret, operative group/agency/squirrel" I would have enough to buy a transferable MG42 and about a ton of ammo to go with that.

just out of curiosity, how do you know? or did you read that somewhere?

Okay, my bad again. Time is not a friend of memory. I guess they were AOWs and they went to the FBI. However, in my defense, the title did say "pistol". See...

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/72729-rr-delivers-first-6-saiga-12-pistols-to-fbi/