Need help identifying this AK-74 Muzzle Brake...

Alright need a little help identifying this muzzle brake. I purchased this online as a "Chinese AK74 Muzzle Brake" for only $17. After receiving it, I noticed that this brake does not have half-moon cuts nor does it have zig-zag cuts. What does it have? Absolutely no forward facing vents at all! Take a look:

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y381/reddave1984/IMG_4865_zps94af505b.jpg

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y381/reddave1984/IMG_4864_zpsceb49c83.jpg

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y381/reddave1984/IMG_4863_zps588fb7b3.jpg

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y381/reddave1984/IMG_4862_zpsb99205c6.jpg

Now I have read that the Chinese brakes are copied after the Russian units - so that's not what this is. The only reference I can find for an AK74 muzzle brake without any forward vents is on Tantal's website seen here:

mbrakes.gif

"(1) Russian AKS-74U, featuring muzzle booster expansion chamber and cone hider; (2) Romanian AK-74 muzzle brake, with no gas vent slits and smaller diameter; (3) German MPiAK-74N muzzle brake, featuring Russian "zigzag" design gas vents and shiny black enamel finish; (4) Bulgarian AK-74 brake with two piece construction circular gas vents (similar to latest Russian design for AK-74M/AK-100); (5) Russian AK-74 late Afghan era "zigzag pattern; and (6) Polish KbK wz.88 featuring grenade launching capability."

So it appears (by image above) that the brake I have here may actually be a Romanian unit? Perhaps - but I was under the impression the Romanian AK74 brakes are threaded for 22mm. This muzzle brake fits nicely on a 24mm thread adapter. It's a blued finish and not painted black, and it's not chrome lined. On top of that - it's more than large enough for 7.62x39mm - a 3/8" drill bit fits through the brake with plenty of room to spare (0.398"). It's 3.25" long and 1.025" around the middle.

Does anyone have any ideas???

I got one like that. Mine was US made copy. It does not have zigzags or half-moon cutouts. Not chrome-lined but has a noticeably larger bullet-hole than the original Russian zigzagged

So yours could be a US or Chinese run of the mill copy. No easy way to tell IMO.

Edited by HappYBallZ

Thanks Jpanzer 'reckon I should get on that site and post this there as well. I don't believe it's US made - no markings anywhere on it. With 922R in play, I can't imagine it's US made and unmarked. I'm curious about it because of the lack of forward vents. Even the sorry ass Tapco (had one) has holes drilled into the forward face. Looking it over it looks alot like #2 in Tantal's referance. But I can't find anything about a 24mm Romanian '74 brake. So ugh...does anybody have any experiance with Chinese milspec brakes....maybe? Sorry S-12 guys.... wink.png

Anybody want to measure the overall length of your '74 brake and report back? If mine is a Romanian (all faith in Tantal here as it's the only referance I can find) it should be about a 1/4 longer that a Bulgy or Ruski.

I'm sorry Captain, what were you saying? Everytime I try to read one of your posts I end up biting my screen for some reason...

Edited by reddave1984

Not very functional without the front baffle vents.

Won't do anything for recoil would be my guess but should still help with muzzle rise. I know it isn't a US clone and definitely an import - I'm curious as to what country made it and why in the hell they would omit the forward vents. Especially if it's bored for a 7.62x39...

I noticed that some of the pre-converted Saigas (specifically the "WA74" model) being sold at places like Atlantic Firearms have this muzzle device. It looks very close to Bulgarian spec, but again is missing any sort of forward baffle vents. Obviously somebody is making these in somewhat decent numbers, but no idea who.

I originally thought it looked very similar to the CNC Warrior brake, but their brake is almost indistinguishable from the real thing, except for lacking chrome lining, and having drilled holes for the forward baffle vents rather than a zig-zag or moon cut.

Edited by mancat

The "WA74" muzzle device does look close as it is also lacking forward vents, however, it's still slightly off. Notice the cutout for the side facing vents is more "rounded off" on the inside edges. The brakes in the images above have these angles at 90 degrees. Haha, so - further confusion! I'll email Atlantic anyway and see if they can give me any specific info on the brake they are using for the WA74.

EDIT: From Atlantic Firearms, "We had those brakes made specifically for our vepr rifles by a machining firm."

Edited by reddave1984