PPS-43C Conversion or Kit?

I'm sorely tempted to get a PPS-43C and turn it into a cheap, effective truck gun that won't break my heart if it's stolen. Classic Firearms is offering two versions. One is a semiauto conversion with the buttstock welded shut, so it can't be considered a rifle. The other version is the full-auto job, unissued, with the barrel and some other crap withheld.

I don't mind the lack of a buttstock, but I think welding a buttstock to a receiver is a travesty. If you want to SBR it later, you end up with a gouged-up mess, or so I would guess. I would rather just buy a kit and build it with no buttstock, creating a better-looking pistol and making the SBR option easier to deal with.

Wondering if anyone here has built a kit. As I understand it, the ready-to-fire jobs are done pretty well, but if I get a kit, I'll have to change the guts on my own, which could result in a fairly cheesy semiauto conversion.

The kit is $80, which is a fairly great incentive. I doubt I would save all that much after buying the extra parts.

Geez. Maybe the best thing is to order the kit, build it full auto, and get a stamp.

Link: http://www.classicfirearms.com/hand-guns/pol-pps-43c

Edited by Steve H. Graham

you must be new to the gun community, otherwise you would know you can no longer register or make a machine-gun, not since 1986, so you're a little late to do that.

those PPS43c stocks are not welded closed, . it takes about 15-20 minutes to make the stock functional, if you do the form 1 for the SBR. I made mine into a SBR, and it is far nicer to shoot then as a "pistol".

the Soviets didn't make a drum for the PPS43. so I made my own 70 round drum for it big_smile.gif ,

pps43_drum.jpg

Edited by Matthew Hopkins

I'm new to the MACHINE GUN community, not the gun community. I have never really had much interest in owning a machine gun. Well, okay. When I was 12. Anyway, it's true: I know very little about the laws regulating full-auto weapons.

Did you get yours from Classic Firearms? The reason I'm asking is that other people on the web are saying theirs had welds that had to be ground off. I would much rather go with a fully built gun, if possible. I can't get Classic Firearms to answer emails.

Any issues with yours Matthew? Looked at these when they first came out but tastes changed. Seems like there were some issues at some point but I forget what exactly.

the hammer is the weakest point in the gun, mine broke on me, as well as other who have wrote about it. but IO sent me another one after I called them. then I got to thinking, eventually those hammer aren't go be around forever what happens if this thing breaks again and IO stopped importing them?

so I took the replacement one and the broken one to a machinist I know who is also a SOT manufacturer, to see if he could make me a few. he just took one look at the broken one, and said, the reason it broke is they used junk steel. I didn't doubt him, he's been working with metal for over 30 years and he can just look to see if the steel is good or not. he said he can make it out out of 4140 steel using a water jet, harden it and black oxide it, and it will never break, so that is what he is going to do for me

I'm new to the MACHINE GUN community, not the gun community. I have never really had much interest in owning a machine gun. Well, okay. When I was 12. Anyway, it's true: I know very little about the laws regulating full-auto weapons.

unless you're making 6 digit income or more, or put yourself in debt with thousand and thousands of dollars, transferable MGs are very expensive to buy. "cheapies", about 5K for a MAC 9 average is about 15K some in the 30K up. but to the point, you can't make and register a MG on a form 1, not since 1986. so what transferable MGs out there were either made or converted before 1986, and they are expensive.

Did you get yours from Classic Firearms? The reason I'm asking is that other people on the web are saying theirs had welds that had to be ground off. I would much rather go with a fully built gun, if possible. I can't get Classic Firearms to answer emails.

it doesn't matter where you buy it, they are all from the same importer INTER ORDNANCE (IO). unless the new batch of imports are welded, which I don't know, mine wasn't when i bought it a couple years back

but I hate finding out that Ronald Reagan was not totally on board with Second Amendment rights.

read the entire FIREARM OWNERS PROTECTION ACT (FOPA). that law did a lot of good for Second Amendment rights. if you like buying ammo and having shipped to you, thank the FOPA. like traveling with your gun through states that don't allow it? thank that as well. like the massive amounts of parts kit, and surplus firearms that hit the market? yep. also that law allowed people who had their gun rights taken away because of a felony, gave them a recourse to get their rights back. before, you had to get a presidential pardon. the FOPA basically put right what the 68 GCA did to destroy

everybody, not only you, just take that one tiny thing that is in that massive law, and cries about it. that was a last minute thrown in there admnt, (compromise) so the entire bill would pass.

One tiny thing? I'd say it's pretty big.

Ummm, I'm talking full auto here...;-)

yes, a tiny thing, compared to what is in the entire FOPA. full auto is OK, but believe me after a while the novelty of it runs it's course.

what I get a real laugh is when someone buys a MG, then they start crying about the cost of ammo. point: if you can't afford to feed the thing, you couldn't afford it in the first place, stick to semi auto.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

you must be new to the gun community, otherwise you would know you can no longer register or make a machine-gun, not since 1986, so you're a little late to do that.

those PPS43c stocks are not welded closed, . it takes about 15-20 minutes to make the stock functional, if you do the form 1 for the SBR. I made mine into a SBR, and it is far nicer to shoot then as a "pistol".

the Soviets didn't make a drum for the PPS43. so I made my own 70 round drum for it big_smile.gif ,

pps43_drum.jpg

Can you or have you bump fired this gun? If so, is it pretty manageable like AK's? Just curious.

Can you or have you bump fired this gun? If so, is it pretty manageable like AK's? Just curious.

you can "bump fire" any firearm. but no, I have never "bump fired" any of my firearms, for one main reason - it's a waste of ammo, you can't really aim the thing, you're just "spraying and praying" and landing bullets all over the place.

I can tell you that the x25 round doesn't even produce the recoil of a x39 does, it's more like a 9mm round.

you can "bump fire" any firearm. but no, I have never "bump fired" any of my firearms, for one main reason - it's a waste of ammo, you can't really aim the thing, you're just "spraying and praying" and landing bullets all over the place.

I can tell you that the x25 round doesn't even produce the recoil of a x39 does, it's more like a 9mm round.

I have several SBR platforms that can easily be aimed and bump fired from the shoulder. Takes a little practice and with the pistol cals, pretty easy. See youtube "poor man's machine gun" . Not me but you get the idea.