Who is going to shorten there barrel?

I am thinking that I might want to shorten the barrel on my Vepr-12 and attach a flash hider/muzzle break. Anyone else planning on doing this? If so give an overview of your goal. I have never done this before so I am looking for feedback on pros and cons or just general info on how to approach this kind of modification.

Edited by Lord Ak-47

I've done this to 3 Saigas. It's all positive in my view no matter what muzzle device you go with.

My process is to cut it down, turn the barrel to the right diameter for threading, and thread. I drill a little hole in the muzzle break that is just big enough for me to put a weld bead in. I put the break on and fill the small hole with weld to make it permanent as requires ny law.

• Like 1

Leland at Sierra Ordnance Company is doing just that, plus adding a 100 series folder, to my 030. That's about the same thing ;-)

What the approximate cost of such work? If you don't mind, that is.

He is a business member here. His username is LelandEOD. Not knowing if he wants his prices advertised or not I will ask you PM him. Looking at the photos that have been posted of his work, it is top notch.

The 100 series folder would be perfect but thats got to be over $400 with parts and labor, thats a new gun!

I've done this to 3 Saigas. It's all positive in my view no matter what muzzle device you go with.

My process is to cut it down, turn the barrel to the right diameter for threading, and thread. I drill a little hole in the muzzle break that is just big enough for me to put a weld bead in. I put the break on and fill the small hole with weld to make it permanent as requires ny law.

Sounds like a good plan. How different is the performance of the hsorter barrel?

I was thinking of chopping the barrel 5" and pinning a GK-01. It's my understanding that they are a little over 5". So the barrel itself will be 13" but 18" overall as per ATF regs. Question, the Vepr 12 has a self regulated gas system, does chopping the barrel that much affect the way it operates IE less reliably? Anyone?

I was thinking of chopping the barrel 5" and pinning a GK-01. It's my understanding that they are a little over 5". So the barrel itself will be 13" but 18" overall as per ATF regs. Question, the Vepr 12 has a self regulated gas system, does chopping the barrel that much affect the way it operates IE less reliably? Anyone?

Yes, it will have a negative effect. Leland stated the by cutting down the couple inches to put a 10 slot FH on, made it not want to run federal Valuepack reliably without changing to a softer recoil spring.

• Like 1

So a 5" chop would screw the vepr up? Damn! Is there any official info on the length of the barrel? What needs to be done to the gas system if You want to do an sbs then?

You're gonna need to do all the mods to increase efficiency and possibly open up the ports a touch. TAC47 SBS'd one. I don't know what they did, if anything to make it run low brass.

So a 5" chop would screw the vepr up? Damn! Is there any official info on the length of the barrel? What needs to be done to the gas system if You want to do an sbs then?

I will be chopping and perming one soon. 13.5" with a GK-01. All factory springs and it will run Winchester Universal. evlblkmagic inside....

I may be doing a simulated 7-8" VEPR 12 as well, unless I wait for the approved stamp before I start the project. Pretty much a heavily ported barrel about 1/8" beyond the desired length. When the stamp comes back the barrel will be removed, chopped, and internally threaded. All factory springs and it too will run Winchester Universal.