Introduction - New Saiga 7.62 owner

New to the AK world and just thought I would introduce myself.

Just ordered a Saiga AK converted by Century from a friend who is a FFL dealer and can't wait to get it in. This will be my first "play toy", meaning no special purpose like everything else I have for hunting.

I will be reading up on all the "how to's" so I can start getting it set up how I want it, thanks for all the detailed info on all this (already read thru a lot). Thinking a collapsible butt stock, quad rail or rail system that will allow a red dot/acog/EO Tech later on, new mags, vertical grip, etc. I am thinking of going with the tan color on all the accessories. I can already tell this stuff adds up fast! Now I just have to sort out the correct parts for it.

Being the only experience I've had with the AK was while overseas, I can already tell that I need to get up to speed in the 922 stuff since that is all new to me.

Thanks, andlooking forward to some range time as soon as I get it in.

Many people are happy with Century, but they have been known to have their faults. Make sure you inspect the rifle thoroughly before signing anything.

Thanks for the tip, will definitely inspect it over. I have read a few complaints about them. Looks like the sights canted, cheap finish, and possibly a shoddy weld job on some spots is what I've gathered. Anything else I need to pay extra close attention to?

Here is a pic of it sent to me from my friend.

post-45358-0-81462600-1352927322_thumb.jpg

Canted sights shouldn't be an issue. They don't mess with them, just do the PG conversions.

I agree, no need to mess with the sights on a Saiga conversion, I think the "canted" part came from the complete builds and issues they have had. Not all were bad but enough were to get folks on the net in an uproar!

Thanks for all the info! I am anxious to get it and start fixing it up. Looking at the chaos rails and the tws rails possibly along with a collapsible butt stock and new pistol grip. Wondering if this barrel is threaded or not, but guess I will have to wait for that.

Can I use standard ak mags or will I be limited to just Saiga mags? I may have to wait to see if I can as well I guess when I see it first hand.

Thanks again!

New to the AK world and just thought I would introduce myself.

Just ordered a Saiga AK converted by Century from a friend who is a FFL dealer and can't wait to get it in. This will be my first "play toy", meaning no special purpose like everything else I have for hunting.

I will be reading up on all the "how to's" so I can start getting it set up how I want it, thanks for all the detailed info on all this (already read thru a lot). Thinking a collapsible butt stock, quad rail or rail system that will allow a red dot/acog/EO Tech later on, new mags, vertical grip, etc. I am thinking of going with the tan color on all the accessories. I can already tell this stuff adds up fast! Now I just have to sort out the correct parts for it.

Being the only experience I've had with the AK was while overseas, I can already tell that I need to get up to speed in the 922 stuff since that is all new to me.

Thanks, andlooking forward to some range time as soon as I get it in.

if you are looking into what u might want it to look like u can check mine out...http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/81464-my-converted-saiga-762x39/

anything is possible my friend.

chaos quad rail-carolinashootersupply.com

mako shock absorbing stock-bought at local gun shop

caa interchangable pistol grip

wolff extra power recoil spring and black jack buffer

mg pull forward grip

ak-74 muzzle break-carolinashootersupply..

• 2 weeks later...

Got it in today and was able to break it down and give ut a good cleaning. I have to go buy some ammo tomorrow so I can shoot it at the deer lease Sunday.

Things that I have noticed:

1) Heavier than I remember AK's being (ones we squired on raids in Iraq)

2) Don't like the stock or pistol grip at all (was going to change them out anyway, but figured these would be ok until then).

3) Think it has dimples, so wondering if it is threaded (will try to figure out how to read serial numbers, but there are a couple 9's in the number - maybe I lucked up).

Ready to go shoot it!

Welcome to the world of Saiga!

Regarding the serial#, the first two digits indicate the year the receiver was made. and the dimples tell you nothing about whether the barrel is threaded or not.

Have fun shooting and choosing new stock/grips that you like.