Convert 308 to 7.62x39?

Hello, I searched the fourm topics did not find a discussion regarding this topic. I was curious if I could "easily" convert my saiga 308 16" to a 7.62x39 to take advantage of the significantly lower price in ammo? Is it a one way conversion or can I convert back and forth with out gunsmithing?

The easiest way to do this is to trade your .308 to a guy with a 7.62x39

smile.png

This is the only right way to go about it. I was involved in this exact trade recently and both parties are very happy.

Its the only way that makes any sense what so ever.

Might ask my son if he would be willing to work out a trade...

Yes, I figured I would just by another in 7.62x39, but figured there are no "stupid questions" so I might as well ask. There are so many people making mods and swaping parts that I figured it could not hurt too much to ask before I spent the money. A buddy just bought a Glock 20 cause he can shoot 10mm, 40SW, 9x25 dillon and 357 sig just by swaping barrels, using the same magazine (all cases are based on the 10mm).

Say, what's the best price from a distributor. I would like to have it shipped to an FFL. The store prices I see are too high. I got a good deal on my 308 that way.

Thanks.

• 2 months later...

ok I am back with a follow up to my original, and quite frankly im befuddled that no one presented this option - Make my own lower for a 7.63x39 and transfer over "all" of the parts...that are interchangable. I have seen lately a lot of sites with very detailed info on how to buy a blank rolled/stamped lower and that you can wrap a drill/mill pattern on it and make your own lower. And, ifs I understand correctly, if you make the lower yourself, for yourself, you do not need a serial number, nor are you required to register it, provided you do not sell it. Can I download the electronic specifications for a cnc mill to make my own lowers, if if need be just buy the blanks and parts and do it myself...?

OK I am having a hard time following your question, I guess!

Yes you can build your own "lower"(it is nothing but a reciever), but very little if any "other"(other than furnature) parts are compatible with x39 that are on a .308! The cost of doing what you are asking(if I read it correctly) would negate the means to do so! You would be better off to purchase both calibers or other means of exchange of the one you have for another.

The AK patern rifle is not an AR, not so simple to change calibers by using one lower(reciever)! Remember they are rivited and carry a far less simplicity to constant changing of calibers.

• 3 weeks later...

Bigtwin - searching the internet I see milling AR lowers is very popular, but bending AK lowers seems to be the way to go. I have seen many sites, photos and videos whereby you can drill/mill a flat plate then bend it into the shape of the receiver, or buy an 80% AK lower that is already bent, slip over a drill/mill paper pattern and finish the job. It requires some riveting and or spot welding and a parts kit to complete, but its not the gun its the process. AND the gun is the empty lower, not the fully assembled firearm. AND if I still understand correctly if you make the lower yourself for your own use you do not need to register it, but you still need to comply with all other laws. If I can create a couple of lowers for practice and learn the difference between the design and construction then I would just continue making various lowers for myself and accumlating various parts for different versions.

Edited by Chubby

Yes you can and many do mill AR's, though few have the tools. Yes many can and many do bend flats for AK's, but few have the tools to do so also. Remember, in order to do either of them and and not bother with an FFL, you must do it yourself, not hire out somebody to do it for you!

After rereading your OP, I would call it a one way conversion for the AK platform(atleast economiclly).

That said many folks have what they call a build party, for a fee YOU can use their equiptment and they will educate and guide you through the build of YOUR homemade reciever.

You will have to do your own footwork to find out the folks in your area who allow this!

Once you get done building that I've got a few projects around my house needs some doing, like maybe an ARK or two.

Not sure if that question was pointed at me or the OP.(joy of the net and posts)

If at the OP, yep I agree, crazy to make an AK a multi platform rifle!

If at my last post...well, there are many rifles built by folks legaly and avoid an FFL.cool.png