My Heart says NO but my mind says YES Need your Options...

This is my dilemma I just picked this bad boy up but not sure if I want another black rifle

DSCN0938.jpg

DSCN0948.jpg

DSCN0951.jpg

Everyone thats seen this beast says leave it has is but I have a few concerns one the compact folding option, and the other is having another black rifle. I already have my Saiga 12 all black, two ARs are black, my first Romaine AK all black. I wanted to change a few things on this saiga to FDE, but that means almost everything has to be changed out to match the Magpuls shade. I would have to get a whole new stock set up since my tang it cut which means add a buffer tube, add a buffer tube rear adapter, and add a magpul stock. Would I need a castle nut lock or is that only with ARs? Also magpul grips dont fit AKs so I would have to add a grip adapter to use a magpul grip system as well as the grip bushing set to use the adapter, and last change the AFG2 but thats the easiest part.

Dont get me wrong I like the look and feel to the ACE stock but I dont think I can add a folding mech if I have a rail mount? I really want the compact option so I feel a CTR stockmight be the best one to go with??

What do yall think??? Should I leave it as is for that traditional AK look, go with something different add tan accessories, or suck it up since everything is all ready black and just change out the stock to a black CTR?

TBH it sounds like what you really wanted was another AR, especially if your desire is to deck it out with AR-specific parts. I would leave it as-is or sell it. Doesn't make much sense to me to change out every single part on the rifle with some AR-specific equivalent that requires adapters galore.. I'm not really an AR-parts-on-AK guy to begin with though.

Edited by mancat

If you want a collapsible folder and can afford it, get one. That's the whole decision process.

I like black or grey way more than FDE. Have you considered doing a two tone black HK grey?

If you want a collapsible folder and can afford it, get one. That's the whole decision process.

I like black or grey way more than FDE. Have you considered doing a two tone black HK grey?

Yes I actually like grey and black two-tone, or satin and black but Im not really in the mix to have it refinished unless I missed a company that does Charcol grey accressories (stock, grip, rail ladders) already?

I wouldnt mind keeping the ACE stock and adding a fold but If my measurements are correct the folding mech wont work folded to the left cause of the rail mount and I want to keep the mount as I will be adding an optic soon.

Would you happen to know if the UTG folding adapter used for buffer tubes are nice quality? Im thinking just adding the Pignose tube adapter, buffertube folding mech, M4 buffer tube from CSS, and the CTR stock.

Also I know its been debated many times but Commercial, or Mil-Spec? To me they seem the same both my AR s are commercial with just standard m4 collapsible stocks

Sorry, I wasn't even aware UTG made such a thing.There is the option of a right side fold too. You might look into bonesteel's products, and the $17 or so it costs to get a tang and redo the rivets with a hammer.

I came to the same quandry, and intended to resolve it by making my own adjustable stock from aluminum and welding it up at my uncle's shop. It is possible to make a stock with a good cheek riser that clears an AK side mount when folded to the left, but it is tricky. If you have access to tools, make a mockup out of scrap wood or cardboard, and see what works. I know there are threads with pictures and dimensions for how much offset you can get out of an ace type hinge.

I ended up modifying an AK74 stock for an Ace Hinge. It does bump into the scope mount when I have the scope on there and fold it. Since I only use the scope when I plan to shoot a lot of slugs it hasn't really bothered me as much as I expected.

You can install ACE folding mechanism and AR tube adapter with collapsible stock, and fold the stock to the left.

With my MOE stock it doesn't fold flat (i.e. parallel to receiver), but "flat enough" to lay gun on LHS even with scope mounted.

ACE folder swings quite wide, and might accommodate your current stock folding flat over the side rail mount.

post-28515-0-49824300-1330813983_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sgt. Raven