How hot do the barrels get?

If you're talking about the Saiga 12, they can get hot, but nothing like the rifles. With the magazines topping out at 12 rds, they don't generally have enough ammo going through them to get that hot. The drums are 20 rds, but I don't have a ton of those. HOWEVER, evlblkpnz shoots 200 rds through 10 drums back to back in this video:

Maybe he can chime in here and say how hot his barrel got. I've fired probably 40 or 50 rds back to back through full auto Saiga 12s. The barrel got a bit too warm to want to hold onto, though nowhere near the temp that rifle barrels can get. I've never heard of a Saiga shotgun's barrel melting a handguard. From the muzzle flash on a SBS maybe, but not from the heat of the barrel. LOL

The handguards will melt, but you will have to use a lot of drums to be able to fire fast enough do it. 200 rounds through 20 round drums will get it pretty hot, but not quite enough to really cause any significant damage. If you can melt one down to the point of rendering it useless, you probably aren't worried about the cost of getting another handguard. From my experience, they only really get "gooey" where they attach to the gas block. The factory polymer handguards are amazingly tough. I had to create a metal insert for the Russian tactical handguard that I used in the 300 round dump video, but outside of that it is fine and I still use abuse it.

• Like 1

I've burnt my hand on my S12's barrel/gas tube, it's SGM forearm was just a bit warm to the touch.

On the other hand, I've had my 7.62x39s barrel smoking hot after 'bumping' four 30rd mags, it's factory forearm was getting pretty danged warm but no ill effects on it's integrity were noticed.