SGM 12 Round Mag falling out?

My russian mag fit like a glove no issues. The problem is with the sgm mags. Filing the ramp on the mag catch on the vepr allows the veprs mag catch to grab more of the sgm mag. As you can see its just grabbing the edge causing the chip. I had 4 sgm mags and everyone grabbed in the same location.

NOTE: This could damage your gun and I'm not responsible if you break it or can't put it back together.

If you choose to file your tab make sure you be very slow to remove materiel. It doesn't take much. Generally you want to

1. File a small amount of materiel off the ramp.

2. Place the veprs mag catch back in the gun insert the pin (without the spring and watch where the tab grabs through the small opening behind the magwell.

3. If the catch is grabbing 3/4 of the tab or greater I'd probably stop.

4. Repeat as needed until the catch is grabbing appropriately.

5. Reinsert spring, veper mag catch, pin

Remember You only have one mag catch so slow and steady is your friend unless you order another catch. Some recommend buying another one. I did and found that the pin was held in by the tight tolerances of the holes in the vepers mag tab. The Saga one I ordered didn't have these tight tolerances so If you choose to use a different mag catch to file on keep in mind you may need a different pin or just find a different way to prevent the pin from falling out.

The arrow points to the ramp I mentioned the tight tolerances on the holes hold the pin in.

IMAG0149_zps6f7f2681.jpg

vepr mag tab -> ||||||

PIN --> ======0_0 <--- = Holes tight tolerances

||||||

||||||

Note: The spring is a PAIN to but back in if you've never done it before. The easiest way I could find was to use a pair of needle nose pliers and place one leg of the spring against the opening while torquing the springs other leg down so that you can slip the spring down into the veprs mag catch hole.

IMPORTANT: with just the pliers you will only be able to get the spring about half way into the hole and will be unable to get it down enough to slip the pin through it. DON'T FORCE THE SPRING INTO THE GUN. I damaged my spring and so did a few other ppl when they reinstalled their tabs. Luckily I had an extra.

To avoid damaging the spring:

1. Place the gun down with the magwell facing up, the barrel to the left, and the stock to the right. If for some reason your gun cant be oriented in this way there's something wrong. big_smile.gif

2. The spring will always catch inside the right side of the hole.

3. Take some micro screwdrivers and play with the leg , and apply pressure to the top of the spring as needed. The problem is that there's a small lip the spring leg gets caught on and you have to use the screw drivers to pull the leg over the lip.

The first time I did this it took me around 1 to 2 hrs to figure this all out. 2nd time it took me around 5 - 10 fumbling through it. The hardest part of reinstalling the spring is getting it over the lip.

If you choose to do this need some help I'll take some more pics or make a video. I attempted to create a tutorial initially but never finished it I'll post a small clip of inserting the sprig before you have to play with the leg.

Edited by papa_celms